- Three reasons why it's so important to do a sanitation risk assessment
- If your employees work in filthy conditions, they're going to pick up all kinds of diseases. They could get stomach viruses, breathing problems, intestinal infections. All of these come from the kind of bacteria that live and breed in damp, dirty, unhygienic places.
When your employees get sick, it means lost productivity. You must also deal with COID if your employee is incapacitated for more ... ››› more
- [10 March 2017]
- Is sitting at your desk slowly killing you? Could the Standing Desk be a new trend in 2015?
- What do you do at your workplace all day? I know, you'll say that you work. But if you're anything like me, you're also sitting for at least eight hours at your desk, in front of your computer. But do you think how much this is actually affecting you? And leading you to poor work performance in the long run? Also, the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes increases with the lack of moving for such a ... ››› more
- [27 February 2015]
- Identify health hazards before they happen! Create an Occupational Health Risk Profile with these three simple steps
- When it comes to health and safety in the workplace, prevention is better than cure.
You must always strive to identify health hazards and prevent them from happening. This way, your employees are always safe when they work and you comply with health and safety legislation.
But how do you do this?
By creating an Occupational Health Risk Profile for each task and department in your company... ››› more
- [20 February 2015]
- Do you know what health risks the DoL inspector will look for when he inspects your workplace?
- The OHS Act has clear regulations when it comes to health risks in your workplace. These regulations outline what you must do to protect your employees from these health risks.
That's why, when a DoL inspector pays you a visit, he'll check you followed those regulations to deal with health risks in your workplace.
If an inspector knocks on your door, do you know what health risks he'll look... ››› more
- [15 October 2014]
- Three types of reactions your employee could have from a workplace health hazard
- Different workplace hazards will have different effects. Depending on the kind of hazard it is, it could take a long time for the effects to actually show.
Knowing how a hazard will affect your employees will help you figure out how to deal with it effectively.
There are three ways a hazard can affect your employee's body. Knowing which one he's experiencing helps you react appropriately whe... ››› more
- [15 September 2014]
- Two common occupational diseases and what you can do to prevent them
- If your employees work with harmful substances, you need to be aware of the danger. Any of the activities they do at work could have serious affects on their health and their lives.
You need to know what kind of affects these activities may have so you can take steps to prevent them.
That's why today, we're revealing two common occupational diseases and how you can prevent them...
... ››› more
- [15 September 2014]
- Doing a sanitation risk assessment? Here's what to look for
- Workplace hygiene is incredibly important. If you leave your ablution facilities an unsanitary mess, they're going to become a source of bacteria. This is a slippery slope to all kinds of health risks.
It's the reason why you must include a sanitation risk assessment in your risk management plan.
This is your best chance of identifying the health hazards your employees have exposure to.
... ››› more
- [18 July 2014]
- Two lessons from yesterday's World Day for Safety and Health at Work!
- The growing rate of work-related injuries and diseases across the globe is alarming. That's why it's your obligation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) to make sure you're doing all you can to protect your employees' health and safety in the workplace. As a result of this, the International Labour Organisation (ILO) celebrated the World Day for Safety and Health at Work on 28 Apri... ››› more
- [29 April 2013]
- Do a health risk assessment before any team-building activity!
- Team-building activities are a great way to strengthen your employees' relationships. But if you do an activity outdoors, there's a whole new set of health hazards to worry about. Take the 44 pre-primary school children who were stung by bees at the Bunny Park in Benoni this weekend as an example of some of the unexpected dangers your employees can face outside your workplace. Here's how to do a h... ››› more
- [11 March 2013]
- Spider, bees, snake bites and stings: Three health and safety risks you probably haven't even thought of
- When it comes to health and safety, health hazards like fires, pollution and accidents usually come to mind. But, if your employees work outdoors, there's another health hazard you should be considering: Bites and stings from creatures like spiders, dogs, bees and snakes. Here's what you need to know about outdoor health hazards to protect your employees.
If your employees travel often or work ... ››› more
- [04 March 2013]