- Five areas to tread carefully when you're hiring to avoid a CCMA case
- Getting the right people on board in your business is very important. Especially since it isn't always that easy to dismiss people once you've hired them! You can use application for employment forms to ask applicants a range of questions to help you when you're recruiting. But you have to make sure you can legally ask the questions... Because an employee can take you to the CCMA for unfair discri... ››› more
- [31 October 2016]
- Job applicants can challenge you for not hiring them! Here's how to protect yourself
- You've placed a job advert up for a position within your company, and you're on the lookout for the right person for the job.
You sift through the candidates' applications, and begin short-listing them before making a final decision, when all of a sudden you get a notification that you're being challenged for an unfair labour practice by none other than one of the applicants!
How can this be... ››› more
- [17 August 2016]
- These are the 2 most common traps for indirect discrimination. Make sure you avoid them
- When looking to appoint someone, you want the best person for the job. And that's why you'll tend to set your selection criteria up a notch.
Now, while this practice is understandable, it can also be dangerous.
You see, if you're not careful with your selection criteria, you will indirectly discriminate against countless prospective employees.
So in order to avoid that from ever happening... ››› more
- [28 April 2016]
- Study shows hiring the wrong employee can cost you six times his salary!
- A study by The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development found the cost of hiring the wrong employee can be between four and six times the employee's salary.
That's why it's important to make sure you hire the right candidate every time.
Before we show you how, take a look at the costs you incur when you hire the wrong employee
According to firstcourserecruitment.com, the follow... ››› more
- [22 January 2015]
- Develop new talent in your business by hiring someone 'wet behind the ears'
- Without the right skills, your company won't improve or grow. But it isn't always easy to find employees with the right skills... So why not look at hiring someone fresh out of Varsity? Someone you can mould and groom to your standards.
The best way to do this is by implementing a graduate recruitment programme. Let's see what and how this could be the best way for you to grow...
Four benefi... ››› more
- [24 December 2014]
- There are ten factors that motivate job-seekers to join a company! Use them to attract the perfect candidate
- When you embark on a recruitment drive, your priority is to find someone who meets the requirements and is the right fit for your company.
What you need to realise is potential employees also just have certain priorities. Despite the tough economy, they're picky and aren't just settling for any company.
Wouldn't it be nice to get into their minds and find what they're looking for so you can ... ››› more
- [18 November 2014]
- Use this 23 step guide to ensure your 2015 recruitment drive is a success
- As the year draws to a close, it's crucial that you plan for the year ahead, especially when it comes to recruitment.
You can't afford to rush through the process and be unprepared.
According to experts behind the Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service, the cost of hiring the wrong candidate can run into thousands of rand.
This because you'll have the mammoth task of helping the per... ››› more
- [14 November 2014]
- Not sure how to treat a new employee on his first day? Here's what you need to do
- Most employers don't know how to treat a new employee on his first day.
The many stories you get from people who say they got ignored and sat the whole day doing nothing on their first day is proof of this.
Don't let your employee's first day become an unpleasant experience.
Here's how to treat your new employee on his first day...
Do this to treat your employee right on his first d... ››› more
- [31 October 2014]
- Three ways to set your new employee up for success
- The fact that the candidate has accepted your job offer doesn't mean you can relax.
You must come up with a plan on how to set him up for success right away, on his first day.
I'm sure you've had an experience where you were a new employee in a company and you spent the whole day languishing in your seat doing nothing because they hadn't set up everything for you or were still figuring out wha... ››› more
- [30 October 2014]
- The BCEA requires you keep five documents regarding your new hire
- You must comply with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) when recruiting.
To do this, you must keep five documents regarding your new hire.
Read on to find out what these documents are so you can comply with the BCEA and avoid harsh penalties.
To comply with the BCEA, make sure you keep these five documents about your new employee
According to Section 31 of the BCEA, you... ››› more
- [29 October 2014]