- Don't hire the wrong employee
- I'm sure you know the best potential employees prepare for an interview. They study, they research and they rehearse. They think about what they can say to make you hire them over anyone else.
But what about you?
Do you make sure you're prepared to ask the right questions? Do you get the right information from the candidate to make sure he can do the job? If not, you could be hiring the wr... ››› more
- [09 January 2017]
- Five areas to tread carefully when you're hiring to avoid a CCMA case
- Getting the right people on board in your business is very important. Especially since it isn't always that easy to dismiss people once you've hired them! You can use application for employment forms to ask applicants a range of questions to help you when you're recruiting. But you have to make sure you can legally ask the questions... Because an employee can take you to the CCMA for unfair discri... ››› more
- [31 October 2016]
- You can legally deny a pregnant employee a promotion!
- We all know there are numerous grounds for unfair discrimination in the workplace, and it's also common knowledge that pregnancy is one of those grounds.
But, it may come as a surprise to find out that you can legally deny a pregnant employee a promotion, even if you originally agreed to one! That's right! Even the courts have shown you can!
Take a look at the following case Whitehead v Wool... ››› more
- [23 August 2016]
- Job applicants can challenge you for not hiring them! Here's how to protect yourself
- You've placed a job advert up for a position within your company, and you're on the lookout for the right person for the job.
You sift through the candidates' applications, and begin short-listing them before making a final decision, when all of a sudden you get a notification that you're being challenged for an unfair labour practice by none other than one of the applicants!
How can this be... ››› more
- [17 August 2016]
- An alternative to hiring workers through a labour broker
- Many employers have taken a keen interest in labour brokers. And for obvious reasons. They can provide staff that:
· Are cheaper than ordinary staff;
· Are more specialised in various areas than your ordinary employees; and
· Allow for more flexibility as your employment requirements change.
But with all this hype, a very interesting question regarding labour bro... ››› more
- [07 June 2016]
- These are the 2 most common traps for indirect discrimination. Make sure you avoid them
- When looking to appoint someone, you want the best person for the job. And that's why you'll tend to set your selection criteria up a notch.
Now, while this practice is understandable, it can also be dangerous.
You see, if you're not careful with your selection criteria, you will indirectly discriminate against countless prospective employees.
So in order to avoid that from ever happening... ››› more
- [28 April 2016]
- Discriminating against applicants when hiring is a real possibility! See for yourself
- As was reported on heraldlive.co.za earlier this month, three officials challenged, and had a victory over, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipality, resulting in them rethinking how they hire staff in future.
Before, the municipality was hiring based on certain criteria (in this case South Africa's national demographics). But they'll now be calling upon Labour Minister, Mildrad Oliphant, t... ››› more
- [24 March 2016]
- Are you looking at hiring a new employee? Then look at these four criteria
- When it comes to recruitment, the new Employment Equity Act (EEA) makes a big impact on you and your business.
According to the EEA, you CAN'T discriminate against any potential employees when hiring.
If you do, you could very well end up at the Commission for Conciliation, Medication and Arbitration (CCMA), after which you could be paying someone, who wasn't even your employee to begin with... ››› more
- [15 October 2015]
- Pay attention! Project 'consultants' might not actually be consultants
- So you're going to appoint 'project consultants'.
By its very wording it may seem that a clear-cut definition will follow.
But what if you were to find out that they might not be consultants at all. You may have raised concerns, while drafting the contract, as to whether they are in fact consultants or employees.
So now pay attention and read on!
In terms of what constitutes a 'project c... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Three tips for hiring a great accountant for your business
- Sure, do-it-yourself accounting software is easy to use. But it's not the sole answer for you as a business owner. Just as having Microsoft Word doesn't make you a writer, having accounting software doesn't make you an accountant!
And that's why it's necessary to have an accountant...
The first step to finding a good accountant is getting referrals. Ask people in the same industry who they u... ››› more
- [23 July 2015]