- Does your HSE rep know how to secure the scene of a health and safety incident?
- 'At least 13 workers were wounded by rubber bullets or machetes in fighting at Amplats' Siphumelele mine following clashes between rival unions', on Monday, reports Fin24. With violent strike action becoming more and more common within the South African business landscape, there's every chance something similar could take place at your company one day. Here's what your HSE rep needs to do to secur... ››› more
- [20 February 2013]
- Make sure your business does its bit for water conservation!
- In last week's State of the Nation Address, President Zuma touched on important issues such as the planned development of two new dams to solve the current water crisis. But we can't leave it up to government to solve our country's water problem. Especially as there're constant news reports about water contamination. Here's what your business can do to solve the current water crisis...
'South A... ››› more
- [19 February 2013]
- Save water in your workplace to save our disappearing wetlands
- World Wetlands Day was celebrated on Saturday, 2 February 2013. But here in South Africa there's not much to celebrate. As the 30th driest country in the world, we're in dire need of new policies to save our rapidly disappearing wetlands. Now, research commissioned by the Water Research Commission shows that half of South Africa's water goes down the drain. There are two ways you can save water in... ››› more
- [06 February 2013]
- Make sure your small business has appointed a health and safety officer, or else ...
- 'We're just a small company and we're careful, we don't need a health and safety officer.'
Sound familiar? Many smaller companies think this way.
Even the Armed Forces of Malta put off implementing a health and safety unit until a soldier died in training. You don't want to leave it too late. There are 13 responsibilities you need to immediately hand over to your health and safety officer!... ››› more
- [28 January 2013]
- Find out how your company’s HSE rep can make your job easier
- By law, you must have a Health, Safety and Environment representative (HSE rep) at your company if you have 20 or more employees. But what exactly will your HSE rep do? And how can you work together to ensure health and safety procedures are implemented and maintained?
What will your company’s HSE rep do?
• Safety is key and your HSE rep must ensure that employees are safe in the... ››› more
- [16 January 2013]
- How many health and safety representatives does the DoL require your company to have?
- If you employ more than 20 people, Department of Labour (DoL) requires you to comply with this essential health and safety law. If you don't, you could be fined R50 000, be subject to a one-year jail term or both. That's why it's vital your company has health and safety representatives (HSE) on hand to help you create and maintain a safe, healthy, environmentally-friendly environment for your empl... ››› more
- [16 January 2013]