- Caution: Construction and manufacturing companies! You'll fail your health and safety audit if your employees answer no to these 8 questions
- As you know, there are a whole host of questions you and your employees must answer to see if you're complying with the OHS Act.
If you don't know the right questions to be asking your employees, you can't measure your compliance and you'll fail your audit. Now, this sounds all very well and legit.
I love the legalese we use. 'Measure your compliance'… 'fail your audit'. We hear terms like... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- What is a health and safety audit?
- This week I want to tell you all about health and safety audits, who needs them, why you have to have them, and a simple tool you can use to do your audit with the questions you need to ask in them.
But, it occurred to me you might not know exactly what I mean when I say 'audit'. So, let's start there ...
What is a health and safety audit?
The Health & Safety Advisor says 'a health and sa... ››› more
- [09 December 2016]
- My 7 tips to do your health and safety audit like a pro!
- You must do a legal compliance audit at least once a year. And the best news is, as long as you choose a competent person, anyone in your company can do it. Here are my top 7 tips to help your employee perform your health and safety audit like a pro... Dear Reader
To see if your health and safety system is legally compliant, you should do a compliance audit at least once a year. You need to cov... ››› more
- [15 April 2016]
- Understand the internal OHS audit so your company's health and safety standards are spot on
- To make sure everyone complies with safety regulations when it comes to the internal OHS Audit, you should know the concepts and definitions used by internal auditors when assessing and reporting against the internal audit criteria.
These will help you have a better understanding of the process itself and know whether the conclusions and the procedure is being applied correctly.
Knowing th... ››› more
- [18 May 2015]
- Safety audit scope: What should your audit workbook subjects include?
- Did you know that your your audit team, in consultation with the Director, OHS and Injury Management, must provide broad instruction to the internal auditor(s) for each internal audit, by nominating audit workbook subjects to be assessed?
Confused? Here's what you need to know about this vital safety audit aspect.
Here's what we mean by audit workbook subjects:
• Legal Re... ››› more
- [15 April 2015]
- A great philosophy for conducting internal safety audits that work
- I attended a safety management conference earlier this week, where one of the speakers mentioned the 'Gemba' philosophy and explained the benefits of such an approach.
I realised that while performing an internal audit, companies that adopted this method had an important quality on their side: None of their employees feared the inspection!
And analysing the impact of regular internal audit... ››› more
- [27 March 2015]
- Auditor Selection and Competencies. How to make the right decision?
- The following tips should help you make the right choice when selecting an internal auditor or for the audit team.
As a first important aspect, don't forget that your internal auditors or audit team should be independent of the component of the OHSMS that they are auditing by:
- selecting internal auditors who have not provided OHS services, advice or consultancy to the selected area for at ... ››› more
- [24 March 2015]
- Use these seven tips to conduct a perfect safety compliance audit!
- You have to do a compliance audit to assess the degree of safety compliance with requirements of your site-specific health and safety risk management system.
Not sure what that entails?
Read on to find out...
Here's how to do a safety compliance audit
A compliance audit will help you see how effective your safety system is, and if it's achieving its objectives.
To do one, you need to... ››› more
- [17 March 2015]
- Prepare the perfect health and safety risk management internal audit in just eight easy steps
- What do you have to do when planning and preparing the health and safety risk management internal audit?
Simply follow these eight steps and you'll have the perfect plan...
These are the eight things you must do to plan and prepare for your internal safety audit!
1. Ask yourself what do you need from a standard audit procedure, this is important since it outlines the set of rules your comp... ››› more
- [17 March 2015]
- Compile your health and safety budget in three easy steps
- We can't stress the importance of an efficient health and safety management system enough. One of the key components to getting it right is an accurate health and safety budget.
To compile your health and safety budget, you need to follow these three steps:
Use these three steps when setting up your health and safety budget.
Step 1: Create a plan
You need to plan how you'll design and... ››› more
- [16 March 2015]