- Five questions you should never ask during an interview
- I'm sure you know by now that the law doesn't allow any discrimination against an employee or job applicant (Employment Equity Act).
So when you plan your interviews with job applicants, protect yourself and your company by making sure you avoid questions that may be discriminatory. Because if you're found guilty of discrimination, you could get a penalty of up to 10% of your business turnover.... ››› more
- [02 March 2017]
- 28 key questions to ask in an interview to get the right candidate
- So a vacancy has become available in your company, and you're now looking for someone to fill it. But you don't just want anyone!
Instead, you want the perfect person for the job.
In response to your job advertisement, you will receive a large number of applications which you'll have to go through and short list.
Only once you've done all that will the real work begin...
I'm talking a... ››› more
- [06 July 2016]
- 7 Interview questions to help you select the right person for the job
- When recruiting for a new employee, you want to get the right candidate for the job the first time around.
A well-structured interview can do just that.
What's more, specifically asking competency-based questions can assist you greatly in determining whether or not a candidate will be able to do the job.
So to be 100% sure that an applicant is the right fit for the job, ask these 7 questi... ››› more
- [22 March 2016]
- 6 Interview questions that could land you at the CCMA
- When holding an interview, you want to understand as much as possible about the candidate. After all, if she's going to be working for you, it would only make sense to do so.
But where do you draw the line?
To help you understand this boundary, AVOID asking the following 6 questions which, if asked, could land you up at the CCMA for unfair discrimination, resulting in you paying thousands in... ››› more
- [29 February 2016]
- Do you have the perfect script for a job interview?
- Tell me, what do you think the perfect script for a job interview looks like? If you could write your own script, how would that go?
More precisely, do you think you know what is a correct job interview question?
First of all, you need to know that plenty of things changed and when you encounter an interview that just seems unproper, you have to keep in mind that the company policy may very w... ››› more
- [20 February 2015]
- To be 100% sure a job candidate can do the job, ask these six competency based questions
- When you do a Google search on 'interview questions', there are thousands of tips on how candidates should answer interview questions. This make it easy for candidates to rehearse answers and tell you want you want to hear.
What they can't fake is their ability to actually DO the job.
And that's why it's important to go beyond the usual interview questions candidates expect.
The best way... ››› more
- [30 January 2015]
- Avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates - Follow these four rules when drafting interview questions
- The Employment Equity Act makes it clear that mustn't ask questions a candidate could see as discriminatory.
If you do and you end up rejecting the candidate, he could claim unfair discrimination at the CCMA. And, as you know, a CCMA dispute is costly.
To avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates, follow these four rules when you draft your interview questions.
Don't let... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- Use these four types of interviews to find the best candidate
- You've shortlisted a few applicants for a vacancy. Now it's time to conduct interviews to assess them against the job requirements.
Interviews are very important because you have to find the candidate that fits the job. And the only way to do this is to conduct successful interviews.
Continue reading below for the four types of interviews you can use to make sure you hire the right person a... ››› more
- [19 November 2014]
- Can you ask Vanessa questions about medication, alcohol use and smoking during her interview?
- You're on a recruitment drive and you've made your short list.
One of the candidates you'll be interviewing is Vanessa.
So to cover your bases, you're preparing an interview questionnaire and are listing a set of questions you'll ask her to check if she's the right person for the job.
You're now wondering whether it would be appropriate to ask Vanessa questions about medication, alcohol u... ››› more
- [08 October 2014]
- Don't be accused of unfair discrimination! Follow these four rules when developing your interview questions
- Believe it or not, you could land at the Labour Court for unfair discrimination just because of a question you asked during an interview.
You can't just ask potential candidates anything you want to during interviews.
The applicant could take you to the Labour Court if you ask a question that he feels unfairly discriminates against him and you could end up paying thousands in ... ››› more
- [07 October 2014]