- Five questions you should never ask during an interview
- I'm sure you know by now that the law doesn't allow any discrimination against an employee or job applicant (Employment Equity Act).
So when you plan your interviews with job applicants, protect yourself and your company by making sure you avoid questions that may be discriminatory. Because if you're found guilty of discrimination, you could get a penalty of up to 10% of your business turnover.... ››› more
- [02 March 2017]
- 3 Tips to select the right candidate for the job
- When recruiting, you want to get the right candidate for the job first time around.
Failing to do so could end up costing your company big time!
This is something which Human Resources Expert, Susan Heathfield, understands. And that's why she has 3 tips on how to ensure you select the right candidate for the job.
Let's take a look...
Slash your recruitment costs... ››› more
- [31 March 2016]
- Are your employees abusing sick leave? Use these 4 steps to conduct an effective post-absence interview
- In attempting to reduce sick-leave abuse as much as possible, you've often heard it being said that post-absence interviews are a great tool.
But how exactly do you go about conducting one?
As pointed out on Employment law Clinic, here are 4 steps you can use in conducting an effective post-absence interview...
Get your hands on The Complete Guide to Managing ... ››› more
- [23 March 2016]
- You could miss the perfect employee because you made one of these 10 mistakes!
- The best candidates prepare for the interview. They study, they research, and they rehearse.
But what about you?
Are you ready to make the kind of first impression in the interview that will make the best candidates eager to join your team?
Make sure you don't make these 10 mistakes when you're looking for the best employee for your company!
Th... ››› more
- [12 January 2016]
- 4 Benefits of having exit interviews
- An exit interview is an interview which you have with an employee who's leaving. It can held by the departing employee's manager, but is preferably done by a third=party member in order to maintain objectivity and neutrality.
This is vital because, during an exit interview, the reasons why an employee is leaving are discussed, and these reasons may be sensitive. Also, the employee's history wi... ››› more
- [02 December 2015]
- Exit interviews - don't miss this opportunity to improve staff retention!
- Have you had a flood of resignations pouring in? And did you sit back and ask yourself 'But why are they resigning?'
Well... Have you actually asked them why? Did you ask what they liked and didn't like about working for you?
And while you might think 'good riddance' to people who resign, exit interviews are a unique opportunity to find out why your employees aren't happy at work. They'll h... ››› more
- [12 August 2015]
- Warning: Think twice about recruiting a job candidate who talks badly about his past employer
- I bet this sounds familiar: You're in an interview and you ask a candidate to tell you about his previous employment.
He tells you his former boss was a nightmare.
But he doesn't stop there. He goes on about his previous company and how bad it was to work there.
As a potential employer, you need to think carefully about hiring this type of applicant.
Read on to find out why so you won... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- Avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates - Follow these four rules when drafting interview questions
- The Employment Equity Act makes it clear that mustn't ask questions a candidate could see as discriminatory.
If you do and you end up rejecting the candidate, he could claim unfair discrimination at the CCMA. And, as you know, a CCMA dispute is costly.
To avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates, follow these four rules when you draft your interview questions.
Don't let... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- You've just lost another employee. Here's what you can do to avoid losing anymore
- Cindy resigned last month. She's currently serving her notice period.
She's the 8th employee to resign in the last year. You don't understand why you keep losing employees. And this is costing you time and money to find replacements.
One way to find out why you're losing staff is to conduct exit interviews. Exit interviews improve employee retention and will help you in other ways too.
To... ››› more
- [19 January 2015]
- Use these four types of interviews to find the best candidate
- You've shortlisted a few applicants for a vacancy. Now it's time to conduct interviews to assess them against the job requirements.
Interviews are very important because you have to find the candidate that fits the job. And the only way to do this is to conduct successful interviews.
Continue reading below for the four types of interviews you can use to make sure you hire the right person a... ››› more
- [19 November 2014]