- Is your business experiencing a mass exodus? Here's what you need to know about notice periods and leave to avoid a CCMA case
- An employee is entitled to annual leave, family leave, sick leave and maternity leave for women. But what happens to all that leave if they resign or if you dismiss them? Mistakes here could land you at the CCMA for violating the BCEA. Follow these rules to make sure you know exactly what to do when it comes to notice periods and leave.
... ››› more
- [20 January 2017]
- Can your employee take annual leave in his notice period?
- Employers have a lot of questions regarding annual leave. One of these questions is whether or not employees are allowed to take annual leave during their notice period. Read on to find out what the law says... When it comes to annual leave, it's important that you stick to what the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) says you must do.
So what does the BCEA say about an employee taking le... ››› more
- [03 January 2017]
- Your employee wants to resign: Here are the three options you can choose for his notice period
- An employee of yours has clearly stated his intention to resign and part ways with your company. From that moment on, the notice period will come into play.
Now, when it comes to a notice period, there are three options you can choose from, depending on the context of the employment relationship, as well as the desires of both you and the employee.
So keep reading to find out what those opti... ››› more
- [13 May 2016]
- Yes! You CAN discipline an employee during his notice period. Heres what to do
- So... You've issued charges against an employee for misconduct, but he leaves before (or even during) the disciplinary hearing without giving notice of his resignation.
What can you do?
Because your employee hasn't complied with the BCEA by giving notice, it's up to you to decide if you want to accept the termination on his terms. Some employers would leave it at that, only too happy to be... ››› more
- [25 February 2016]
- 3 Areas to be aware of when dismissing employees
- With many dismissals being reported to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA), it's only understandable that you'll be very anxious when you need to dismiss an employee. After all, the last thing you want to do is unfairly dismiss her.
Here are 3 areas to be careful of when dismissing employees. If you're not, you could very well end up paying for it at the CCMA. 1. ... ››› more
- [18 November 2015]
- Has your employee resigned? Here's what you need to know about notice periods
- So, your employee has, for whatever reason, CLEARLY stated her intention to resign and, in so doing, end the employment relationship between you.
Now, unless she takes it back and you agree, there's no turning back.
From this point on, the issue of the notice period comes into the frame of things.
Having said that, here are four items to keep in mind when it comes to notice periods: Item#... ››› more
- [15 October 2015]
- Do you know the answers to three key issues around sick leave
- You employees are entitled to paid sick leave. During the first six months of an employee's employment, she's allowed to take one days' paid sick leave for every 26 days worked.
Thereafter, the 'sick leave cycle' comes into effect. This cycle means the employee is entitled to an amount of paid sick leave which is equal to the number of days she would've normally worked in six weeks - within a ... ››› more
- [12 October 2015]
- Case study: Can a permanent employee terminate his employment with immediate effect?
- Experts at www.labourandhrclub.co.za recently received this question:
'One of our permanent employees would like to resign with immediate effect, but as per contract he must give a calendar month notice.
What would be the implications of his actions? What is my responsibility regarding his salary and leave pay outs? He also has a bursary and study loan with the firm. As per these agreements... ››› more
- [17 March 2015]
- Can your employee take annual leave during his notice period?
- One of your employees resigns in the month of her final exams. She forfeits her study leave days and wants to take annual leave instead. Given the situation, can she take annual leave or unpaid leave during her notice period?
Here's what labout law says...
Are you in breach of the BCEA if you denied her request for annual leave?
According to the current legislation, your employees can't ta... ››› more
- [16 March 2015]
- Can Jim take sick leave if he's on his notice period?
- Every business owner has been there. Jim resigns and then all of a sudden he's off for a week with 'flu'. But is Jim legally entitled to take paid sick leave in his notice period? Continue reading to find ...
'Every year, SA companies flush R19 billion down the drain!'
Discover all the steps you must take today to ensure your company only pays what it really has t... ››› more
- [15 April 2014]