- What is a health and safety audit?
- This week I want to tell you all about health and safety audits, who needs them, why you have to have them, and a simple tool you can use to do your audit with the questions you need to ask in them.
But, it occurred to me you might not know exactly what I mean when I say 'audit'. So, let's start there ...
What is a health and safety audit?
The Health & Safety Advisor says 'a health and sa... ››› more
- [09 December 2016]
- Important liabilities OHS practitioners face in various legal appointments
- A company or an individual may encounter two types of liability. One type is represented by the criminal charges carrying conviction or fines, the second type is represented by the civil claims by damages.
In an analysis for Sheqafrica.com, steam legal consultant Shavanya Subramoney explained the liabilities that OHS practitioners face in various legal appointments and scopes of service.
Tod... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]
- Four types of OHSA's health and safety risk assessment you need to know about
- Having a HIRA (hazard identification and risk assessment) process at your company is one of the most important tools at your disposal to ensure your company's compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).Here are the four types of risk assessments you must do...
Most incidents in the workplace happen because of insufficient management controls. One way of ensuring your compa... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Toolbox talks: What your employees need to know about risk assessments
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to identify all hazards and risks in your workplace. You must, thereafter, analyse the risks and implement control measures to reduce or remove the risks associated with your company's activities. Use this toolbox talk to train your employees on the importance of doing daily risk assessments in their work area...
The words 'risk assessm... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Your 'E' responsibility in HSE Representatives and SHE
- If you yawn when you see the words 'Green', 'Recycle', 'Greenhouse gasses' or 'Carbon footprint', you're going to get into trouble!
You're responsible for health and safety in your company and now you also have the previously 'ignored' environmental responsibilities and obligations on your plate.
The government is getting SERIOUS about environmental concerns and will hold you liable if you'r... ››› more
- [28 September 2016]
- My 7 tips to do your health and safety audit like a pro!
- You must do a legal compliance audit at least once a year. And the best news is, as long as you choose a competent person, anyone in your company can do it. Here are my top 7 tips to help your employee perform your health and safety audit like a pro... Dear Reader
To see if your health and safety system is legally compliant, you should do a compliance audit at least once a year. You need to cov... ››› more
- [15 April 2016]
- 3 Simple Steps to ensure your Health and Safety Representatives comply with the OHSA
- By now you know that a DoL inspector can demand to inspect your workplace, without prior notice, to see if you're fully compliant with all relevant labour legislation.
This includes him checking to see that your Health and Safety Representatives, as well as your Health and Safety Committees, are compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
So that's good to know, but how can... ››› more
- [13 April 2016]
- 'What is OHSAS 18001?' and how close are you to achieving this standard
- OHSAS 18001 is the British standard for occupational health and safety management. It's the world's highest level of occupational health and safety systems standards and everyone wants it.
It helps organisations get credit for their health and safety performance. And this credit means more business!
And if you want this recognition for your business, pay attention...
*********Highly recom... ››› more
- [13 August 2015]
- If you don't have these three things in your first aid treatment, you're not OHS compliant!
- You have the legal responsibility of your entire workforce's safety.
The reality is that accidents happen in any workplace. It's your job to make sure you give your employees the proper level of first aid if an accident occurs.
Here are three things you must do to ensure your injured employee gets OHS compliant first aid treatment...
Revealed: The... ››› more
- [05 June 2015]
- Make sure your sub-contractors comply with their duties!
- In the construction industry, a major impact was brought by the Construction Regulations changes. As a consequence, you must ensure your Principal Contractor and sub-contractors are doing their new duties so they can all successfully carry out any of your contracts.
When talking about the new sub-contractors' duties, by sub-contractor we mean a person who your principal contractor employs. It d... ››› more
- [04 June 2015]