- If you have contractors working for you, here's what must you do in terms of COID
- Let's assume you have outside contractors working for your company, such as cleaners, security, electricians, plumbers etc. When it comes to safety regulations, you know that they must also be registered with COID.
But what is your responsibility when it comes to this?
Let's take a look.
Before you hire contractors, ask for their COID registration number and a copy of their COID letter ... ››› more
- [02 June 2015]
- Understand the internal OHS audit so your company's health and safety standards are spot on
- To make sure everyone complies with safety regulations when it comes to the internal OHS Audit, you should know the concepts and definitions used by internal auditors when assessing and reporting against the internal audit criteria.
These will help you have a better understanding of the process itself and know whether the conclusions and the procedure is being applied correctly.
Knowing th... ››› more
- [18 May 2015]
- Don't know how to conduct a Toolbox Talk? Use this simple Toolbox Talks checklist to make sure you're covering all the bases...
- You need to conduct Toolbox Talks in your workplace (The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)).
They are a way for you to give your employees safety information about their working environment. And involve them in the safety management at your workplace.
Running effective Toolbox Talks can be a challenge. And because you must have them regularly (at least once a week), makes it somethin... ››› more
- [12 May 2015]
- 20 Items you need in your first aid kit to ensure your First Aiders can attend to employee injuries
- According to the OHS Act, you need to make sure your employees receive quick first aid treatment in case of injury or emergency. And you also have to appoint a First Aider for every 10 employees.
He must have access to a fully-equipped first aid kit to be able to deal with emergencies.
Read on to find out what you should include in your first aid kit...
**********Highly recommended*******... ››› more
- [12 May 2015]
- Machine guarding and how to use it comply with the OHS Act
- If your employees work with machines like circular saws, sanding or grinding machines, you'll be interested to know how important the safety of your machines is.
You have to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and make sure your machines are guarded so you cover the risks of having your employees injured.
An employee injured by an unguarded machine can cost you thousands in... ››› more
- [11 May 2015]
- Health and safety signs you should display in your workplace to stay OHS compliant
- Safety signs all perform the same basic function of reducing injuries through awareness.
But there are differences between the signs and their functions. And you need to know what they are to make sure you're displaying the right ones! Because even if you're displaying a lot of signs, if they're not the right ones, you'll still be labelled non-compliant.
Read on to find out what the differe... ››› more
- [08 May 2015]
- Follow this procedure when applying for a construction work permit
- As new amendments were made to the Construction Regulations in 2014, we'll show you the right procedure to follow when you want to apply for a construction work permit.
Note: This is one of the new requirements of the Construction Regulations 2014 (Regulation 3). A client who's going to have construction work done must apply for a construction work permit.
But, you only need to apply for ... ››› more
- [07 May 2015]
- Checklists your SME will need to do its first risk assessment successfully
- The best way of ensuring your SME identifies hazards and assesses safety risks is to do a complete and proper risk assessment of your workplace.
Performing a risk assessment is also one of the most important safety tools at your disposal to prove your compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act.
During a risk assessment, you need to evaluate all the hazards and risks to you... ››› more
- [04 May 2015]
- Here's where to start to get your SME compliant before your first DoL inspection
- As an SME, you probably find the idea of health and safety overwhelming!
Accident rates in SMEs are twice that of larger businesses can't be leaving you feeling any better. Or that the cost of safety failure could shut you down completely!
I'm going to tell you where to start so you can be 100% sure your health and management system is compliant!
Read on for what you need to know to start... ››› more
- [30 April 2015]
- What you need to know about Medical Surveillance: Your employee's seven obligations
- When it comes to Medical Surveillance, keep in mind that it's a process that will help you determine if your employees' health is deteriorating because they're exposed to hazards at work.
The aim of this process is to ensure your employees are medically fit to do the work you employed them to.
Let's see who needs to know about medical surveillance...
First of all, employers need to know if... ››› more
- [29 April 2015]