- Three golden rules to help you write 100% legally compliant HR policies and procedures
- Having all your HR policies and procedures in place is one of the best things you can do for your business.
They'll help you deal with disciplinary and performance issues as well as employee grievances. This means you'll always act in a fair manner. And avoid the risk of disputes and landing up at the CCMA for unfair labour practices.
But you can only reap these benefits if yo... ››› more
- [02 November 2016]
- Drafting HR policies and procedures? Follow these four golden rules or they won't achieve their objectives
- You're on the right path if you're drafting HR policies and procedures for your company.
These policies and procedures:
• Guide how you deal with disciplinary or performance-related problems;
• Help you deal with employee issues in a fair and consistent manner; and
• Help you comply with your legal obligations under labour legislation.
To continue on this path, we urge you to foll... ››› more
- [24 August 2016]
- 6 Elements your grievance policies and procedures must contain
- Where there are employees, there are sure to be grievances. And so it's very important that you have grievance policies and procedures in the workplace.
Having them will help you resolve issues in the workplace as soon as possible, which in turn can help maintain employee satisfaction and performance.
To ensure that your own grievance policies and procedures are effective, make sure they con... ››› more
- [19 April 2016]
- 2 Tactics to ensure your employees follow your health and safety rules
- You hear it being said over and over again, that you have to look out for the health and safety of your employees. And that failure to do so will lead to hefty penalties and fines.
Now, while this may be true, it's not to say that you are the only one who has an obligation. Your employees do too. In other words, you can put safety measures in place for them, but it's also their responsibility ... ››› more
- [15 April 2016]
- Disciplinary policy - Why our labour law expert says you must have one!
- I recently sat down with our labour law expert, Lizle Louw. I couldn't believe the number of labour cases she deals with weekly.
She told me, many of her new clients (employers like you) are being taken to the Labour Court by their employees.
And one of the reasons they end up fighting costly labour battles, is because of disciplinary policies and procedures. They don't have a company discip... ››› more
- [31 August 2015]
- Can you retrench an employee while she's on maternity leave?
- You own a clothing company that has been facing financial difficulties for months. As a result, you have to retrench a number of employees. But you have a slight problem...
One of the employees you need to retrench is on maternity leave. Her name is Mary. Can you retrench Mary while she's on maternity leave?
The answer is: Yes! You can. Let me elaborate...
You can to retrench an employee ... ››› more
- [30 July 2015]
- Retrenchment myth busted: You CAN retrench employees during a Section 197 procedure
- Some people are under the impression that if a company's being transferred or sold, employees can't be retrenched. This is untrue!
Let's say, for example, you're buying a company called The Packaging Co. You want to merge this company with a company you currently own, Jacoby Packaging.
In the merged business, you're going to end up with two receptionists and two general managers. And you do... ››› more
- [09 July 2015]
- The only way to ensure your HR policies and procedures don't violate the sexual equality clauses set in SA's most recent labour law amendments
- Sexual inequality is a big no-no.
It's prohibited by The Constitution, Basic Conditions of Employment Act AND the latest amendments to the Labour Relations Act.
All three laws state that discrimination based on any grounds, be it race, gender, sex, marital status, age or 'other', is unfair and unlawful.
But here's the thing, there have been so many changes to labour law lately, that you... ››› more
- [10 April 2015]
- Do this to ensure your employees don't misuse their company cell phones
- The Limpopo province is investigating their deputy speaker, Lehlogonolo Masoga. This after he racked up a whopping R125 000 cell phone bill in one month.
Talk about a huge bill!
But that's not the problem. The real problem is the fact that, the City Press reports, a huge chunk of it allegedly came because Masoga watched porn while on an official overseas trip.
Talk about a no-no! Especia... ››› more
- [30 March 2015]
- Doing an HR audit? Look at these three areas to make sure your HR policies and procedures comply with the new labour laws
- Your HR policies, procedures and practices must comply with labour laws. To make sure they do, you must conduct an HR audit.
If you don't, you're at risk of fines of up to 10% of your turnover and CCMA cases.
Why take this risk when it's so easy to avoid.
Conduct an HR audit and look at these three areas to make sure your HR policies and procedures are in line with the new labour laws.
... ››› more
- [10 February 2015]