- Don't confuse poor performance and misconduct - find out how they differ so you can avoid legal comebacks
- Our labour experts conduct continuous research on how employers deal with employee issues in the workplace.
One thing they've found recently is that most employers confuse poor performance with misconduct and vice versa. And this can only mean one thing, these employers aren't dealing with poor performance and misconduct correctly and they're exposing themselves to labour disputes.
Don't mak... ››› more
- [25 January 2017]
- Issue a written warning in five easy steps
- As an employer issuing a written warning to an employee for poor work performance or wrong doing is something you'll face at least once in your career. It's not pleasant, but it's vital to ensure work is carried out efficiently by a lacklustre employee.
But it's not as simple as that. Issuing a written warning incorrectly can be costly and land you at the CCMA. So make sure you follow these fi... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]
- Turn a poor performing employee into a star performer with the one way to give negative feedback constructively....
- If you give employees bonuses and increases in December, you've probably started scheduling your review meetings and looking at your employees' performance.
One of the least enjoyable parts of a review is having to give an employee negative feedback. Because we tend to see negative comments as criticism. And none of us like to be criticised. So what do you need to remember when giving your emp... ››› more
- [09 November 2016]
- Stop! Before you fire that poor performer
- Do you have an employee whose work just isn't up to scratch? You know the one... Always missing deadlines, and when he does meet them, the work is inevitably wrong anyway!
I'm sure you're about ready to show him the door. But it isn't as simple as that! Make sure you use these three phases to counsel the employee properly, so you don't land up with an unfair dismissal case on your hands... ****... ››› more
- [19 September 2016]
- Increase performance in the workplace by avoiding these two traits
- Good leadership is the key to good performance in the workplace. But that's easier said than done.
Because the fact of the matter is that not all employers show the right qualities.
Instead, they make classic leadership mistakes that end up lowering overall morale, leading to poor performance in the workplace. And that's something no employer wants.
So to help you avoid doing that in your ... ››› more
- [07 June 2016]
- Answer 'YES' to these eight questions before dismissing a poor performer
- Do you have an employee who:
· Makes many mistakes without showing any indication of learning from them;
· Provides poor quality services; and
· Overall, just doesn't deliver on what you expect of him?
If so, then you have a poor performer on your hands. And the chances are that your patience is beginning to wear thin, to the point where you'll run to HR and dema... ››› more
- [06 June 2016]
- Six steps to conduct an effective performance evaluation
- In some cases, it's easy to measure an employee's performance in the workplace. For example, there's sales targets in place, or an employee's immediate superior may have several complaints about him, which can indicate poor performance.
But in cases where none of these factors are present, you may wish to implement 'evaluations'. As these act a communication channel between you and the employ... ››› more
- [24 May 2016]
- The greatest tool you have for managing poor performers in the workplace
- If there's one thing every employer dislikes, it's a poor performing employee. And the unfortunate reality is that poor performers will always be around as long as there are workplaces.
But that doesn't mean you're can't manage them effectively. Instead, you can and should take action when dealing with poor performers in your workplace. And the first step to doing this is through setting perfor... ››› more
- [18 May 2016]
- How do I get rid of an employee who can't do her job?
- This is a question we received recently from Kerusha on the LabourandHRClub.co.za. And since posting it, several other employers have been asking our experts what to do with their poor performing employees. Here's Kerusha's problem.
'I have a staff member who's 56 years old. Over the past year, she's been doing less and less of what she was hired to do. She has a very negative attitude and this... ››› more
- [28 January 2016]
- Follow these 10 steps BEFORE dismissing a poor performer
- Do you have an employee who is just not doing anything? An employee who is taking it easy while still expecting the rewards of working hard?
Well then, you have poor performer on your hands. And it can be extremely annoying for you and your business. Think about it, here you are, paying her a FIXED SALARY for work she just isn't doing. And you'd probably find that if you were to pay her one mon... ››› more
- [02 November 2015]