- If an employee lodges a complaint of racism... You have to take it seriously. Otherwise you're guilty of unfair discrimination!
- Now, I know you know you can't discriminate unfairly against any employee in the workplace. But what happens if one employee discriminates against another because of race?
What are your duties when it comes to this?
I'll tell you in a moment, let's first look at what racism is...
What is racism?
Racism is a form of unfair discrimination and includes:
Ethnic... ››› more
- [23 March 2017]
- Three tips to create a solid workplace anti-racism policy
- In South Africa, racism in general is frowned upon, and that includes racism in the workplace. So it's very important that you ensure equal treatment for everyone in your workplace, regardless of race, and you can't unfairly discriminate against any employee because of it.
So to help curb racism in your company, you need to have a racism policy in place. And to ensure that it's effective, here ... ››› more
- [15 June 2016]
- Design an effective racism policy with these 7 steps
- South Africa's history echoes of a time when racism laid the foundations of the country's legal system.
And, through the efforts of many brave men and women, the land was blessed with a new system, namely democracy. Its foundations are built upon equality and an intolerance towards racial discrimination.
With a history so intense, and with our nation's constitution protecting against racis... ››› more
- [18 November 2015]
- Here's how to ensure your company's anti-racism campaign doesn't have the same holes as Cape Town's
- Cape Town mayor, Patricia de Lille, is in the firing line again. This time from the Institute for Race Relations.
It's attacked what de Lillle did on Human Rights Day this weekend when she launched the city's race dialogue.
According to news reports, it's worried that: 'Without clear policy changes to create economic opportunities for all, the City of Cape Town's new anti-racism campaign c... ››› more
- [24 March 2015]
- Racism rears its ugly head in Free State schools! Use these tips to ensure the same thing doesn't happen in your workplace
- It seems like racism is still alive and well in South Africa.
News24 reports that two principals and a teacher in three Free State schools have been suspended by the provincial education department amid allegations of racism.
The suspensions come after an investigation by the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC). SAHRC found the principal of the Dr Viljoen Combined School in Bloemfontein guil... ››› more
- [06 August 2014]
- Racism rears its ugly head at the National School of the Arts! Avoid a similar situation with these three effective tips
- The National School of the Arts (NSA) is embroiled in a racism scandal.
On Tuesday, it emerged that a grade eight history teacher told learners that, 'black people are demons and government is failing because it's led by black people.'
According to a report by The Star, a 13 year-old girl, attending the class at the time of the incident, sent an SMS to her mother saying the teacher said blac... ››› more
- [05 June 2014]
- Revealed: Two forms of workplace racism you need to avoid at all costs
- Racism in the workplace is defined as discrimination or prejudice against an employee or group of employees based on the employee's race. There are two forms of workplace racism you should be aware of. Continue reading to find out what they are...
The two forms of racism explained
This year, South Africa celebrates 20 years of democracy and freedom. One may argue that there's not much to ce... ››› more
- [10 March 2014]
- Warning: Never let your employees get away with these five examples of racism
- Racism is just one of the things you should NEVER allow in your workplace. The courts don't tolerate it and it's just bad for business. So don't let your employees off the hook if they commit any of these five forms of racism.
Revealed: Five examples of racism you should never allow your employees to get away with
Before we get to examples of racism, let's define racism in the workplace.
... ››› more
- [05 March 2014]
- Should you dismiss an employee who's guilty of racism?
- Let's say an incident of racism happened in your workplace. And you've conducted an investigation, held a hearing and found your employee guilty of racism. The big question now is: Can you dismiss an employee who is guilty of racism? Read on to find out what labour law says about this...
Incidents of racism keep creeping up.
The latest incident has prompted North West Premier Thandi Modise ... ››› more
- [05 November 2013]
- Five different types of racism you MUST lookout for in your workplace
- Racism is discrimination or prejudice against an employee or group of employees based on their race. But there's more than one type of racism out there. Here are five types you should lookout for in your workplace.
Racism is rife.
In June, we reported that civil society group, Equal Education (EE) asked Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga to apologise publicly for a 'racist' statement ... ››› more
- [30 October 2013]