- Easter, Hanukkah and Ramadan... What you need to know about religious leave so you don't end up in Court!
- Easter's almost here! And If you're a Christian, it's a very big deal. If you're Muslim, Easter isn't something you celebrate, nor is Christmas, but Christian Public Holidays are given to everyone - no matter what their religious belief.
So with this in mind, the question crops up... Do you have to give an employee leave when it comes to his religious beliefs and practices?
Let's have a lo... ››› more
- [09 March 2017]
- An employee with another religion asks for time off. What's your company policy on this?
- Here in South Africa, companies are used to giving their employees time off for Christian religious holidays like Easter and Christmas..
But what do you do if your employees have other religions and need time off for their religious holidays?
Read on to find out...
Should you grant employees religious leaves or tell them to use annual leave?
Jewish... Muslim... Christian... Other. When... ››› more
- [20 March 2015]
- Want to implement a religious leave policy? Consider these four things first
- More and more employers are being asked to grant paid religious leave to employees who wish to observe Christian, Jewish, Hindu or Muslim holy days. As a result, some employers are implementing religious leave policies in their companies. If you're one of these employers, be sure to consider these four things before you implement your religious leave policy.
Almost 80% of South Africa's populat... ››› more
- [17 October 2013]
- Three ways to deal with your employee's religious leave requests
- South Africa has 13 public holidays a year. This means every year you're effectively losing two weeks' worth of work that you have to pay your employees for. And while only two of these are religious holidays, have you considered how your leave policy affects the religious holidays of your non-Christian employees? Not doing so could land you in clear violation of the Bill of Rights and Employment ... ››› more
- [30 January 2013]