- Can you retrench a fixed-term employee?
- So, you've employed an employee on a two-year contract. Unfortunately, you've lost a big client and now you have to retrench him, amongst other staff.
But can you? What does the law say about retrenching fixed-term employees?
Let's take a look...
Simplify your work and save thousands!
Now you don't have to scour the internet for hours or pay a labour consultant t... ››› more
- [31 May 2017]
- Retrenching? Use these six methods to help your employees cope with retrenchments
- In today's tough economic climate, there's an increasing risk you'll have to go through the painful process of retrenching your staff.
Here's how you help them and yourself, through this tough emotional storm without risk to your business.
Retrenchment is a dismissal for operational reasons and is classified as a no-fault dismissal, explains the Labour Law for Managers Handbook.
This me... ››› more
- [30 November 2016]
- Is a retrenchment like any other dismissal or is there a difference?
- The current economic conditions have made retrenchments a harsh reality. As the economy continues to move at a slow pace, chances are you may also be forced to restructure your business in the near future. Read on to discover how a retrenchment differs from a dismissal so you can comply with labour law.
If you're still unsure how a retrenchment differs from a dismissal, the Labour Law for Manag... ››› more
- [10 November 2016]
- Retrenchment letters could land you in trouble at the CCMA if you don't get it right!
- Retrenchment letters are a hot topic at the CCMA right now! The CCMA says cases involving retrenchment increased in the first four months of this year and were considerably ahead of the number referred to the CCMA in the previous period. If your company's planning to retrench, it's crucial that you ensure your employee's notice of retrenchment letter contains all the required details. One wrong mo... ››› more
- [26 October 2016]
- 4 situations in which you may want to retrench
- Your company has come to a point where you're considering to terminate many of your employees' contracts. You've taken a look at things from an 'operational' point of view and you strongly feel that your company simply can't continue the way it is.
If this is you, then you may be looking at retrenching your employees.
But before you go ahead and retrench employees, you've got to make sure ... ››› more
- [21 April 2016]
- Don't make these 5 mistakes when it comes to salaries and wages or else your business will regret it.
- When considering wages and salaries for employees, a lot of employers complicate things for themselves by making various mistakes.
Don't let this happen to you! Know these 5 mistakes that employers make when negotiating employee salaries and wages: Mistake#1: Not clarifying the salary review process with new employees
Many companies who employ new employees on probation, agree to a salary r... ››› more
- [25 November 2015]
- Follow this important tip when considering who to retrench
- Your business is under a lot of pressure, and in order to survive you strongly believe that the best decision will be to retrench employees.
When looking into retrenchments, there are some questions you'll need to ask yourself beforehand. And 1 of those questions has to do with the selection process you'll use in determining which employees to retrench.
You would more than likely opt for an ... ››› more
- [23 November 2015]
- Are you thinking about retrenchments? Then FIRST consider these 10 points
- As reported on Independent Online, the South African mining company, Sibanye, warned recently that its profits may be hit hard.
This is as a result of lost production, due to the labour disruptions caused by wage negotiations earlier this year.
The mining group already reported that operating profit, for the quarter ending September, fell to R1.59 billion from R1.78 billion as compared to a... ››› more
- [02 November 2015]
- News: Lonmin confirms retrenchment of 6000 employees
- Platinum mining company, Lonmin, who were chastised earlier this year, by an independent enquiry, for the Marikana massacre in 2012, will be setting out to cut its workforce by 6000- this is as reported on the Citizen.
On top of that, it will set out to raise US$400 million through a rights issue, as well as restructure debt so it can restore its balance sheet.
It's worth noting that Lon... ››› more
- [22 October 2015]
- Do you know what to include in your notice letter of retrenchment? Find out here
- You DON'T have to reach an agreement during consultation in order to retrench. But you must ensure you consulted properly and used up all possible alternatives.
If you do happen to reach an agreement, then put all the details in a written agreement, signed by yourself and the union (in the case you were consulting with a union).
But if you don't reach, you can still go ahead with the retre... ››› more
- [19 October 2015]