- Checklists your SME will need to do its first risk assessment successfully
- The best way of ensuring your SME identifies hazards and assesses safety risks is to do a complete and proper risk assessment of your workplace.
Performing a risk assessment is also one of the most important safety tools at your disposal to prove your compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act.
During a risk assessment, you need to evaluate all the hazards and risks to you... ››› more
- [04 May 2015]
- Five reasons why you need to include ventilation as part of your safety risk assessment!
- Do you ever hear your employees sneezing and coughing non-stop in the office?
Well, you'd better start noticing before it's too late!
You see, poor ventilation is an invisible health hazard. It puts the health and safety of your employees at risk. And the financial consequences could shut your business down!
Here are five reasons why you need to include a ventilation system in your risk ... ››› more
- [24 April 2015]
- Six sections to include to start your SHE file quickly and easily
- When starting a new job or project, a safety file is your first line of defence against employee injuries and penalties from the DoL.
When you think you need to include over 70 documents in it, it's no wonder most people leave it to the last minute, or don't do it at all.
Do you even know where to start?
Read on for six sections you need to include to get your SHE File started...
Ge... ››› more
- [17 April 2015]
- A mouse pad could cost you thousands if you don't apply these three ergonomic principles in your office
- A simple thing like a mouse pad could cause a serious injury to your employees. Sounds silly, right?
But, if your employees' wrists don't get proper support when they're using a mouse, they could develop health problems associated with MSD(Musculoskeletal Disorders)!
Managing the ergonomics in your office needs to be a top priority. Because the last thing you need is to lose production due ... ››› more
- [10 April 2015]
- Six simple steps you need to take for a safer office environment
- Most people know about the huge amount of health and safety risks in a factory.
What's not so obvious is the safety risks your office employees face! Who would've thought employees who sit all day in an air-conditioned office would be at risk of injury?
But they are! There area surprising number of hazards in an office.
And I'm going to give you eight simple steps you can take to reduce t... ››› more
- [09 April 2015]
- Here's why you should train your employees on personal protective equipment
- Today we want to explain the importance of training employees on personal protective equipment.
We'll give you a guideline for the proper selection, issuing, use and maintenance of personal protective equipment (PPE), in line with the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 and its regulations.
Read on to discover everything you need to know...
The importance o... ››› more
- [27 March 2015]
- Overwhelmed with how to manage your health and safety system? Here's how to manage it in bite-sized chunks!
- By now, I'm sure you've implemented your health and safety management system. Allocated responsibilities, and set safety objectives.
Keeping your health and safety management system relevant and effective is a continual, time-consuming and daunting process.
So how do you go about maintaining the heath and safety system you've put in place?
The answer: Break down the different sections o... ››› more
- [24 March 2015]
- Five common hazards at the workplace: Raise awareness of them and increase your worker's safety!
- We all know people who are so absent minded they knock their heads on anything hanging from the ceiling. They're usually the same people who will walk into a door glass, place a cup near the end of the table or spill their coffee on their keyboard at least once a week.
For an efficient health and safety system, we're sure you don't want someone like this on your team.
But you don't have much... ››› more
- [18 March 2015]
- Policies and procedures: A key part in an effective Health and Safety Management System
- You have to make sure you're accurate when it comes to documenting your health and safety management.
This means you have to design and draft all your procedures and policies. To do that, you also need to get input from your employees since they're the specialists in their field.
You should have formal procedures on the following:
• Health and Safety Policy
• Risk assessment policy. W... ››› more
- [16 March 2015]
- Compile your health and safety budget in three easy steps
- We can't stress the importance of an efficient health and safety management system enough. One of the key components to getting it right is an accurate health and safety budget.
To compile your health and safety budget, you need to follow these three steps:
Use these three steps when setting up your health and safety budget.
Step 1: Create a plan
You need to plan how you'll design and... ››› more
- [16 March 2015]