- What is a health and safety audit?
- This week I want to tell you all about health and safety audits, who needs them, why you have to have them, and a simple tool you can use to do your audit with the questions you need to ask in them.
But, it occurred to me you might not know exactly what I mean when I say 'audit'. So, let's start there ...
What is a health and safety audit?
The Health & Safety Advisor says 'a health and sa... ››› more
- [09 December 2016]
- Answers to four of the most frequently asked risk assessment questions
- Have questions about risk assessments? If so, continue reading to discover some of the answers to your questions.
Four answers to your risk assessment questions
Question #1: What's risk assessment matrix?
Answer: Experts at the Health & Safety Advisor say that a risk assessment is the process of estimating and communicating workplace safety risk and deciding whether this risk is a... ››› more
- [16 November 2016]
- The one health and safety duty many employers get wrong
- You have many health and safety obligations in the workplace which you simply can't afford to ignore. Because doing so could lead to a R100 000 fine or a one-year prison sentence!
So it's vitally important you ensure you're carrying them out all the time.
But there's one in particular many employers not only overlook, but misinterpret altogether.
In this article, we'll reveal to you th... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.' - WRONG!
- As you may know, I'm coordinating a seminar on Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment. So when I was telling Marc a business owner, about this event, he said he doesn't worry about conducting risk assessments in his company. The reason - he says 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.'
Unfortunately, he couldn't be more wrong!
The OHS Act says the employer ... ››› more
- [26 April 2016]
- Look into these five ergonomic hazards when it comes to pregnant employees
- Ergonomics has to do with work systems that ensure the overall comfort, health and safety for employees - and pregnant employees are certainly no exception.
As an employer, it is your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
Within this obligation, you should look into any areas which may pose a risk to a pregnant employee. This c... ››› more
- [23 December 2015]
- Health and Safety affects overall production! So ALWAYS follow this simple tip.
- According to Mining Weekly, 'Gold mining company AngloGold Ashanti beat cost and overall production guidance in the three months to September 30, but fatalities and safety stoppages lowered South African output.'
According to AngloGold CEO, Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan, the multi-national company had a very bad quarter, in terms of safety, in South Africa - many of which were caused by ground fal... ››› more
- [17 November 2015]
- Consider these 3 things BEFORE deciding to trade as a Sole Proprietor
- If you're testing out a business on your own and it's a service-based business that doesn't need much initial financial investment, then trading as a sole proprietor might just be the thing for you.
The advantages of trading as a sole proprietor include:
· Not having to always submit Annual Returns to CIPC;
· Not having to use a registered accountant to do your books or have... ››› more
- [06 November 2015]
- Use this risk assessment model when examining procedurally controlled activities
- Risk assessments help you identify hazards and assess risks in the workplace. On top of it, they are a legal requirement. So it is important for you to carry them out in the name of health and safety.
There are several risk assessment models that are used. One of them, as will be discussed in this article, is called the Operating Support Hazard Analysis, otherwise known as the O&SHA.
This ... ››› more
- [24 September 2015]
- You have legal duty to protect the health of pregnant and breastfeeding employees. Here are five tips to ensure that you do...
- As an employer, it's your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
There are several tips you can follow to ensure this.
Here are five of them: Tip#1:
Identify, record and review any possible risks to pregnant and breastfeeding employees.
Identify, record and review any protective adjustments made in the workplace... ››› more
- [20 September 2015]
- Eight tips to avoid the risk of fire on your construction site
- A workplace fire can have severe consequences to your construction site!
So it is vitally important that you take all necessary measures to reduce fire risks on your premises.
Here are eight tips that you can follow to avoid fire risks... And what's more, they will help you keep you in line with the new Construction Regulations:
1. Ensure that good housekeeping is maintained.
2. Ma... ››› more
- [11 September 2015]