- Seven things you can expect DoL inspectors to ask for during a health and safety inspection
- The Department of Labour (DoL) conducted over 190,000 impromptu health and safety inspections. It even shut down a company for failing to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Here's what you can expect DoL inspectors to ask for when they arrive at your company unannounced...
The chances of DoL inspectors rocking up at your company's door one day are huge. Recently, the Dep... ››› more
- [23 December 2016]
- Avoid shutdown by answering these 4 Health and Safety questions about legal appointments
- Did you know that an inspector from the Department of Labour can rock up on your doorstep, AT ANY TIME, and demand to inspect your premises?
That's right! It's completely your responsibility to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all of your employees. And if you fail to answer any of the inspector's questions, then you'll be in big trouble. In other words, he can SHUT DOWN your business! ... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]
- Warning: Don't make THIS mistake when you do safety audits, inspections or risk assessments
- The key to any safety audit, inspection or risk assessment is to be on site and to watch your employees at work. It's the only way you'll get a clear idea of what they do on a day-to-day basis.
But it's easy to make one crucial mistake during these observations.
You may not even know you've made it but if you do, it may throw off all your findings
Here's what you need to avoid if you wan... ››› more
- [09 November 2016]
- 9 steps to ensure legal compliance during a health and safety inspection
- Inspectors from the Department of Labour (DoL) can arrive at your business's doorstep, completely announced, and legally demand to inspect your workplace to ensure compliance with all health-and-safety legislation.
And if you're caught out, you'll face harsh penalties and fines which will severely hamper your business.
So don't ignore this very real possibility! Follow these 9 simple steps t... ››› more
- [10 March 2016]
- The inspector is on site to check your health and safety. Remember these nine important DO's and DON'T's
- At any given moment, a Department of Labour (DoL) inspector can arrive at your construction site to check your compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
When he decides to pay you a visit, here are nine DO's and DON'T's to keep in mind: 1. Make sure the inspector attends your health and safety induction session before allowing him to make his way onto the site.
... ››› more
- [12 October 2015]
- You can appeal the health and safety inspector's decisions! Here's how
- Health and Safety inspectors from the Department of Labour can come onto the premises of your workplace, without prior notice, to inspect all that is going on.
The Health and Safety inspector is there to ensure that you comply with all the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
If the inspector believes that it threatens the health and safety of any person, he can prohibit... ››› more
- [26 August 2015]
- Use this toolbox talk on inspecting lifting equipment
- There's no exception. Your employees must inspect their lifting equipment.
You have to make sure they do this because it's a legal requirement. So use this toolbox talk to make sure your employees inspect their lifting equipment and avoid injury!
Let's look at the following example just to give you a clearer example of accidents caused by not doing inspections as you should!
Example: Rub... ››› more
- [15 June 2015]
- 5 questions the DoL inspector could ask your employees to ensure you're complying with the Construction Regulations 2014
- You think you're prepared for a safety inspection by the DoL, but the inspector might surprise you with a different opinion afterwards...
You're not the only one in the firing line of questions! Your employees are too!
Read on for the five top questions you need to prepare your employees for when the DoL comes knocking. And the textbook answers to protect your company from fines!
(Note th... ››› more
- [06 May 2015]
- Seven essential reasons why you must maintain your workplace facilities!
- There are several reasons why you should maintain your workplace facilities, and all of them comes down to health and safety in the workplace.
Some injuries may never occur but so many accidents happen every day because the employer and the employees don't follow the basic rules when it comes about these facilities.
And that's why today we're showing you what you should know about inspectin... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- Are you familiar with the general safety duties of employees at work?
- There is a whole list of general duties strictly selected for the employees to accomplish while being at the workplace and managing their tasks.
The rules are set in order to secure a health and safety management system. And that's why,as an employer, you have to make sure that employees do the following while at work:
Five general safety duties your employees have
a. Take reasonable care... ››› more
- [26 March 2015]