- Is your business experiencing a mass exodus? Here's what you need to know about notice periods and leave to avoid a CCMA case
- An employee is entitled to annual leave, family leave, sick leave and maternity leave for women. But what happens to all that leave if they resign or if you dismiss them? Mistakes here could land you at the CCMA for violating the BCEA. Follow these rules to make sure you know exactly what to do when it comes to notice periods and leave.
... ››› more
- [20 January 2017]
- 7 Vital questions about sick leave over holiday periods....
- Did you see an increase in the number of staff calling in sick over this holiday period? Are you expecting a flurry of sick notes from them because they were absent on the working days that fell amidst all the public holidays? We receive a lot of interesting questions about sick leave... Questions that are probably on your mind too!
Let's have a look at them…
.............................. ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- Can your employee take all his sick leave or must it be pro-rated?
- One of the common questions regarding sick leave is: Can an employee take all his sick leave or must it be pro-rated? Read on to find out what labour law says about this.
The answer to this leave question is as follows:
'Your employee is allowed to take his full sick leave allowance at the beginning of the sick leave cycle – that is, it's not pro-rated over a period of time,' says the Lab... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Does your annual leave policy contain this ONE glaring gap?
- Most annual leave policies are largely made up of legal annual leave entitlements. But their structure of can change from business to business. Because of this, most annual leave policies neglect to include ONE very important part. Read on to make sure your annual leave policy doesn't have a big hole in it.
All your annual leave questions answered!
... ››› more
- [05 January 2017]
- Use this handy Leave Request Form template to manage your employee's sick leave
- Did you know sick leave abuse costs South African employers R19 billion every year? That's right. This shocking stat shows the importance of managing leave correctly. And that's where this Leave Request Form template can help...
Why do you need to use a Leave Request Form to manage your employee's leave?
The Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service says employees must apply for leave wri... ››› more
- [18 November 2016]
- Do you have to pay your employee additional time off once he's exhausted his sick leave?
- We get this question a lot from our readers.
If you're a manager and your employee uses all his sick leave, do you have to pay him for extra sick leave?
The answer is quite simple - No, you don't have to pay him for any additional time off once he's used all his statutory sick leave.
But this is what the BCEA says you can do in this situation...
Keep reading below.
'Every ... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Your employee left work at 2pm with a migraine - how do you handle her sick leave?
- Everyone has at least one employee who drags herself to work - no matter how horrid she feels.
And what inevitably happens? Come 2pm she's feeling so bad, she has no other choice but to take some sick leave and go home.
But how do you go about allocating this sick leave in your employee attendance record?
Do you mark it as a half day because she left at 2pm? Or does the unwritten rule t... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- Three answers to the most common questions about annual leave to keep you out of the CCMA!
- As a manager or business owner, I know you've been dealing with employee's leave issues for a long time. And you probably know everything there is to know about leave.
Well, if I look at the questions I get every day, it seems a lot of employers still don't deal with leave correctly. And because of this, they end up at the CCMA.
So I want you to keep reading below to see three comm... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- So, why should an employee's drug abuse be your problem?
- Taking drugs is bad enough (not to mention illegal!) but taking drugs while on the job could lead to even bigger issues. This is what a South African woman found out on a working trip to Uganda to prepare for a film shoot when she took cocaine. She now needs be treated for paralysis to her right side after taking the drugs.
Now, you may think this is not your problem, but let me show you why i... ››› more
- [26 September 2016]
- Managing late attendance - you have to get it right, early...
- Many businesses have to deal with workers who, for whatever reason, always seem to be running late either for work or their shifts.
It's frustrating and time-consuming to manage... And often bad for the company morale when other colleagues have to cover for the late worker or wonder why they make the effort to arrive on time.
So read on for what you need to do about an employee in this scen... ››› more
- [08 July 2016]