- 7 Vital questions about sick leave over holiday periods....
- Did you see an increase in the number of staff calling in sick over this holiday period? Are you expecting a flurry of sick notes from them because they were absent on the working days that fell amidst all the public holidays? We receive a lot of interesting questions about sick leave... Questions that are probably on your mind too!
Let's have a look at them…
.............................. ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- Sangoma sick notes - Are they proof of sick leave?
- I often get questions about whether or not you should accept a certificate from a sangoma, or traditional healer, as valid proof to give an employee sick leave. And for a while, you only had to accept it if you were in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
But now things have changed! And employers want to know...
Do we have to accept certificates from traditional healers?
Keep reading to find out..... ››› more
- [18 August 2015]
- When an employee runs out of sick leave, can he use his annual leave for when he's sick or injured and unable to work?
- Sometimes, an employee might run out of sick leave and then become unfit to work. He might fall ill with the flu, or something more serious like bronchitis. Or he might even be injured as a result of a car accident.
In such a case, the employee will probably go see his doctor. And, as a result, be booked off. But what now? He's exhausted all of his sick leave, and has now been booked off?
Mo... ››› more
- [17 July 2015]
- Can sangomas write sick notes? The facts about traditional healer medical certificates
- With the world of medicine changing and growing all the time, traditional healers have found a space in this mainstream community.
What do you do if an employee produces a medical certificate issued by a traditional healer?
In today's article, we look at whether traditional healers should fit into your sick leave policy. We also set out the characteristics you can use to deem whether a... ››› more
- [30 June 2015]
- Four quick tips for picking up if the sick note your employee submitted is fake
- Ever been handed a sick note by one of your employees that's left you feeling suspicious?
'Is this valid? Is this fake?', you might ask yourself as you glance over it.
Today, I'm shedding some light on how you can pick up if your employee has submitted a potentially fake or fraudulent sick note. Here's what to look out for.
1. What's deemed a valid sick note
If the sick note your empl... ››› more
- [23 June 2015]
- Sick leave certificates: Can you force your employee to disclose what's wrong with him?
- Back in 2002, Government stated that doctors no longer have to disclose illnesses on sick leave certificates without a patient's permission. This because the Health Professions Council of SA ruled this was illegal in terms of the constitutional right to privacy as well as doctors' ethical duty to preserve patient confidentiality.
Why are we talking about this issue 13 years later?
Because sh... ››› more
- [30 March 2015]
- Occupational Care SA finds one in five employee sick notes is a fake!
- If you're an employer, chances are a number of your employees have been absent this week and some have had to produce sick notes.
We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but of those sick notes, at least one of them is a fake and - there's proof to back this up.
A recent report by Occupational Care SA has found that one in five employee sick notes is a fake. Read on to find out more about this... ››› more
- [14 August 2014]
- Don't let the World Cup cause a rise of fake sick notes in your company
- The South China Morning Post reports that the time difference of up to 12 hours between China and Brazil has given some people a lucrative business opportunity to sell fake sick notes to football fans staying up all night to watch World Cup games.
It's clear that employees will do anything to watch the World Cup, including buying fake sick notes.
Here in South Africa, the time difference al... ››› more
- [23 June 2014]
- Watch out! Your employee's medical certificate is NOT legit if it doesn't contain these six items
- We've just come back from a long weekend and our labour experts have been inundated with questions from employers who claim their employees haven't reported for work today. Some are even saying their employees have indicated they won't come in tomorrow. Our experts have urged these employers to ask for medical certificates when these employees eventually turn up for work. If you're in the same boa... ››› more
- [22 April 2014]
- Are your employees playing with their sick leave?
- Do your employees grumble that they're only entitled to 30 days' sick leave in a three-year or 36-month cycle? It's more than they'd get in the US, which is usually more lenient than SA. Here's what your employees are entitled to when it comes to sick leave, and what to do to ensure they're not taking advantage...
In the US, employers with fewer than 50 employees can terminate the servic... ››› more
- [15 May 2013]