- Are your employees spending too much time on smoke breaks? Use these five ways to control them!
- Many employers who allow smoking in the workplace often complain about the amount of productivity that's lost because of the frequent smoke breaks employees take. What makes it worse is employees usually want company when they have a smoke. If you're faced with a similar problem in your company, there's a solution. Here are five tips you can use to control the smoke breaks your employee takes.
... ››› more
- [23 November 2016]
- 'Smoking at work is a privilege not a right! Abuse it and I WILL ban smoking in the office...'
- This is the subject line on an email a friend of mine received from her boss. She wanted to know if her boss could stop her from smoking during working hours.
And in fact, her boss is perfectly entitled to do so.
But, if you've decided to allow employees to smoke during working hours, you need to make sure you've done the following... ********* Best Seller ********
Don't leave company pr... ››› more
- [05 August 2016]
- Thinking of setting up an outdoor smoking area? Then carry out these three legal obligations
- It's a fact: The law in no way protects smokers and their habit, not even in the workplace.
You as the employer are therefore under no obligation to cater for your smoking employees, and should you choose to do so, you'll have every right to completely ban smoking in your workplace.
However, should you choose to accommodate your smoking employees with, let's say, an outdoor smoking area, you... ››› more
- [17 May 2016]
- 5 Rules you have to follow when introducing a designated smoking area for employees
- Smoking is a practice engulfed in fiery debate. Around the world, laws are becoming stricter and stricter in an effort to promote the overall well-being of every individual, especially for those who choose not to smoke.
South African law is no exception to this general global pattern, with the Tobacco Products Control Act protecting non-smokers, including non-smoking employees, while offering n... ››› more
- [15 April 2016]
- 3 Tips on how to manage e-cigarette smoking in the workplace
- An ever-growing number of employees are now turning their attention towards e-cigarettes, otherwise referred to a 'vaping', in the workplace instead of traditional tobacco-based products.
Now, if your employees are using them, it makes complete sense for you to take steps to manage their use, just as you would with conventional smoking in the workplace.
Here are 5 steps to manage vaping in t... ››› more
- [04 December 2015]
- Are you following these six rules for outdoor smoking areas
- If you so wish, you are entitled to ban smoking in the workplace. You're under no obligation. It's completely up to you.
If you do, you'll need to put in place a designated smoking area. This goes for outdoor areas as well.
What's more, you'll need to ensure full compliance with the Tobacco Controls Act (TCA).
Having said that, here are seven rules that you NEED to know when it comes to ... ››› more
- [29 September 2015]
- Here's what you need to know about smoking in the workplace
- The opposing viewpoints around smoking have sparked debate for decades. But it doesn't matter what your personal viewpoint is. Here is what you need to know, from a legal point of view, about smoking in the workplace...
Legislation around smoking in the workplace:
As mentioned in Health & Safety Advisor, smoking in the workplace is not regulated by labour law, but rather by the Tobacco P... ››› more
- [05 August 2015]
- Six ways to control smoke breaks and manage your employees' productivity
- To this day, even after the smoking laws have been passed, smoking in the workplace still sparks heated debates between smokers and non-smokers.
And not because employers allow employees to smoke in non-designated areas. But rather the amount of time employees are allowed to spend smoking.
Read on for six ways to control smoke breaks in your company, and manage your employees' productivity.... ››› more
- [05 June 2015]
- If you don't deal with smoking in the workplace, you could face a Johannesburg CBD fire disaster
- Yesterday, a fire left five shops in the CDB of Johannesburg gutted. Although the cause is unknown, but what if it was a stray cigarette that's to blame for this devastation.
You see, if just one employee working in one of those shops threw their cigarette away in the wrong place, they could be responsible for the whole fire.
Now imagine it happened to you because one of your employees took... ››› more
- [20 May 2014]
- Is it lawful to discriminate against smokers in the workplace?
- Labour law doesn't govern smoking in the workplace. The Tobacco Products Control Act is the framework you must use to govern this issue. Read on to find out whether or not the Act allows you to discriminate against employees who smoke.
Most South Africans are heavy smokers.
The 2012 Health24 Great SA Smoking Survey, sponsored by pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, found that more than 50% of smoke... ››› more
- [11 December 2013]