- Employee privacy: What are your rights as the employer?
- Where do your employees' rights to privacy end and your right to protect your business begin? What if you need to protect your company from employee theft? Or have to protect it from slander through employee emails? These are just two of the circumstances that could force you to invade your employees' privacy. But before you do, make sure you know what your company's obligations are when it comes ... ››› more
- [10 February 2017]
- Employ a 'Trevor' and you'll need to watch his personal social media profiles very closely
- Poor Trevor Noah. He's just landed the gig of a lifetime as the host of The Daily Show. And now he's surrounded by controversy.
So much, in fact, that yesterday, the American Jewish Congress called on the show's producers to fire him.
This after journalists combed through years of his tweets and came up with a handful of jokes that took shots at Israel, overweight women and other apparentl... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- Couples are getting social media prenups! Your company should follow suit
- Have you heard of something called a 'social media prenup'? We don't blame you if you haven't heard of it.
A social media prenup is relatively new. It's basically a written document, or often simply a discussion, that addresses what's acceptable to share online about each other, sometimes with serious consequences, reports Abc news.
The good news is you too can have a social media prenup in... ››› more
- [10 June 2014]
- The recent slew of unsavoury tweets highlights the importance of communicating your company's social media policy properly
- Findings of the SA Social Media Landscape 2014 research study show there are 5.5 million active Twitter users in South Africa.
While this shows South Africans are becoming more social media savvy, the country has also seen the not so good side of social media.
In recent months, high profile people have gotten into trouble for irresponsible tweets.
This includes former Hawks spokesperson, ... ››› more
- [06 June 2014]
- What to do if your employees post tweets similar to those of a DA MP and Orlando Pirates player
- Another employee is in trouble for posting something unsavory on social media.
This time around, it's a Member of Parliament (MP).
On Monday, Democratic Alliance (DA) MP, Mike Waters, posted a picture on Twitter showing a pack of dogs lining up towards a tree, underneath which was a picture of President Jacob Zuma.
Waters captioned the picture as follows: 'Voting Day. Make your mark.'
... ››› more
- [05 June 2014]
- Racist Facebook remarks by Ericsson employee reveals the importance of having a social media policy
- Another employee has lost a job due to derogatory remarks on social media. This time, Ericsson South Africa fired Vivienne Catherine Basson after she made a racist statement on her Facebook account. This reveals the importance of having a social media policy so you'll be equipped to handle what employees say on social media. Read on to discover how this will help you...
Wil... ››› more
- [10 April 2014]
- Protect yourself from a PR disaster like the FHM rape-joke fiasco with a water-tight social media policy
- Social media is both a blessing and a curse to business owners. On one hand, it can expand the reach of your brand and connect positively with customers; on the other hand, it could bring your brand crashing down. One thing's for sure: you can't let social media run unchecked in the workplace! Protect yourself from a PR disaster like the one at FHM right now with these social media policy tips... ... ››› more
- [18 July 2013]
- Follow the example of schools in the Philippines by holding social media training sessions for your employees!
- Children across the globe are constantly glued to their smartphones, messaging their friends and posting comments on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. That's why a professor from the University of the Philippines says it's a good idea to teach 'social media courtesy' in schools. And with so many of today's employees also grappling with the ins and outs of social media use, you can foll... ››› more
- [29 May 2013]
- Follow Cricket Australia's example and implement a social media policy today!
- Do your employees tweet in anger? They probably do, as the social media platform is filled with expletives. Best you act on this sooner rather than later. Because Cricket Australia is considering implementing a social media policy after its opening batsman David Warner started a public Twitter war with two journalists... But this is seen as too little too late as Warner's already damaged the brand... ››› more
- [21 May 2013]
- Four performance-based criteria to include in your 'social media focused' employees' job description
- Do you have a social media guru or blogger in chief on your payroll? With so many companies realising the benefit of having an employee whose responsibilities are dedicated to the social media space, it's no wonder there's a rash of rather odd new job titles doing the rounds. Here's what you'll need to include in their job description...
These days, seeing your company's name mentioned o... ››› more
- [15 May 2013]