- Succession planning: Why you need one before your entire company crumbles
- Last night, DA leader Helen Zille announced she's stepping down from the party.
As the head of her party, this comes as blow to the DA's plans.
Luckily, in an organisation this size, the DA's sure to have thought about what they'd do if one of their leaders resigned.
What about you?
Have you considered the far-reaching implications of having one of your key staff members resign?
H... ››› more
- [13 April 2015]
- Structuring your succession plan to cater for BEE - what you need to know
- Every company needs to plan for the inevitable: Losing a key employee who's vital to company's success.
But here in South Africa, succession planning is a little more tricky.
After all, not only do you need to have a plan in place in case an employee resigns, you also have Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE) requirements to fulfil.
Helen Zille's resignation from the DA over... ››› more
- [13 April 2015]
- Here's what the appointment of the new Reserve Bank Governor can teach you about succession planning
- On Monday, President Jacob Zuma announced that Deputy Reserve Bank Governor, Lesetja Kganyago, will succeed Gill Marcus as governor of the Reserve Bank.
Last month, Marcus, said she'll step down when her five-year term ends on the 8th of November.
Kganyago's appointment has been praised by key role players. They say the move shows there's continuity at the Reserve Bank. This because Kganyago... ››› more
- [08 October 2014]
- Follow these eight steps for winning succession planning
- If you don't have a succession plan in place, you expose your business to risk every time a valuable, skilled employee leaves or retires. If you had to sit down and calculate what it costs you in terms of the value of the intellectual property and the skill (not to mention the relationship with key clients and suppliers), you'd probably find you actually can't afford NOT to have a succession plan ... ››› more
- [12 November 2013]
- Are you making your employees depressed?
- Being in charge is never an easy ride. But are you actually depressing your staff? New research shows that employees who are over-qualified for their jobs suffer more from mental distress. Here's how to make sure your recruitment and leadership choices don't make your employees miserable. New research from the American Sociological Association reveals that over-qualified workers end up depressed a... ››› more
- [15 August 2013]
- What the Zimbabwean election can teach you about succession planning
- You can hardly expect to get wise lessons in leadership from certified crackpot like Robert Mugabe. But did you know there are some surprising lessons about succession planning hidden in the 2013 Zimbabwean election? Read on to find out what they are... Robert Mugabe is fighting to stick around as president of Zimbabwe for another term, reports The Washington Post. What lessons can your business l... ››› more
- [31 July 2013]
- If you don't have a succession plan in place, you risk an ANC-style succession battle tearing your business apart
- If you can learn anything from the ANC, it's how NOT to run a business! The ruling party is in the news because a vicious succession battle has derailed their work. If you don't have a succession plan, this could happen to your business! Here's how to avoid a succession battle in your workplace... News24 reports the ANC is crumbling from the inside out because of a succession battle.
And it's n... ››› more
- [23 July 2013]
- The surprising business lesson you can learn from the royal baby's birth
- The Duchess of Cambridge (aka Kate Middleton, wife of Prince William) gave birth to a healthy baby boy yesterday. It's impossible to escape the news of the royal baby, even if you're not a huge fan of the royal family. But did you know there's a brilliant business lesson in the royal baby's birth that can make a huge difference to your business... The BBC reports that the royal baby was born yeste... ››› more
- [23 July 2013]
- Don't groom talented employees only for your competitors to steal them! Put a succession plan in place instead...
- The key to succession planning is identifying talent and developing that talent for a bigger role in your organisation. But poor planning can derail this whole process. Consider these three points to ensure your company develops and effective succession plan.
Grooming an employee to take over a management position is a critical element of succession planning and it's especially relevant in a sc... ››› more
- [04 June 2013]
- FNB proves it's a good idea to recruit from within when top management resigns!
- Employees tend to panic when they hear a member of the management team's resigned. That's because they think it's a sign of bad things to come. FNB thought of this and planned ahead, so that when current FNB CEO Michael Jordaan tweeted yesterday that he'll be stepping down from his role at the end of 2013, FNB was ready with a statement that Jordaan had already indicated to the board back in 2010 ... ››› more
- [23 May 2013]