- The one thing you must get right to fire a thieving employee successfully...
- Your employee stole a laptop from you. And you have all the proof you need. Pretty much an open and shut case. So you give him his notice to attend a disciplinary hearing, which says 'you stole from us' and hope the obvious ruling will be his dismissal.
But... You're wrong. You didn't get this one thing right...
Get all the ammunition you n... ››› more
- [14 June 2017]
- You have two options if you catch your employee stealing from you
- Is your employee stealing from you? If so, read on to find out what your two options are regarding employee theft.
The Labour Law for Managers says theft in the workplace happens when your employee takes goods to which he has no lawful right and with the intention to keep the goods to use or sell or for any other purpose.
Essentially, he has no intention of returning the goods to you as the... ››› more
- [28 October 2016]
- Three steps to take if you suspect an employee is stealing from you
- Many employers have been asking what must happen if they strongly believe an employee is stealing from them.
Well, the answer is simple: You need to take action! Follow your gut! Because by ignoring your suspicions, all you'll be doing is paying for more and more missing items in your workplace.
So to help you take action, here are three steps you should take if you suspect an employee is ... ››› more
- [06 May 2016]
- News: Government has released cyber-crimes Bill draft for comment. Read on and help protect your business's data from theft
- As reported on the Mail and Guardian, South Africa is very prone to cyber-attacks.
Not only is there effective 'requirement' for companies to make known breaches within systems, but there are also no real paths for victims to follow in pursuing these crimes.
Overall, the economy could be at risk.
In today's age of technology, cyber-crimes are a reality which must be dealt with seriously... ››› more
- [14 October 2015]
- Stop theft from your first aid boxes with one of these three measures
- Under the General Safety Regulations 3.1, 3.2 and 3.4, you MUST have a first aid box if you employ five or more employees.
But while the law lays down the minimum requirement, you still can, and should, have a fully-equipped box if you have less than five employees.
The aim of first aid boxes is to provide a quick response to any injures in the workplace.
But even though the intentions ar... ››› more
- [30 September 2015]
- What you should and shouldn't do when giving a reference for an employee you dismissed
- Three months ago, you dismissed an employee, Shannon, for stealing a cell phone off another employee's desk.
Now, an employer has contacted you asking to give him a reference for Shannon. Here's what you should and shouldn't say about Shannon...
You should tell the prospective employer what's fair and true
Considering you dismissed Shannon for theft, it's fair to tell the prospective emp... ››› more
- [26 June 2015]
- Five inventory controls could protect your company against inventory fraud and theft
- At the end of the year, you'll have stock you purchased but haven't sold yet. You need to record this inventory stock on your financial statements.
Because you'll sell the stock and get money for it, your stock is an asset. You calculate it value by taking the quantity of goods you have at year end and multiply it by the cost.
Unfortunately, because of this process, there's a massive invent... ››› more
- [22 December 2014]
- Are employees robbing you blind? Follow KFC's example to fire them legally
- Employee theft is a huge problem for many companies.
In fact, according to referenceforbusiness.com, corporate security experts estimate that 25% to 40% of all employees steal from their employers.
One KFC outlet learnt this the hard way.
It reveals it lost 245 pieces of chicken and 63kg of chips in just three days. Before this, 424 cans of cold drink and 518 cans of juice went missing i... ››› more
- [15 December 2014]
- If your finances aren't balancing, it could be because one of your employees helped himself to your money
- Do you prefer to do business the old fashioned way? Do you think accounting books and cash deposits are still the way to go?
While some old school methods of doing business may be better, this isn't the case when it comes to your finances!
The reason is these methods leave your company wide open to theft and employee fraud. And sadly, I'm not even talking about theft from the outside. I'm ta... ››› more
- [03 December 2014]
- Didn't take out insurance cover on your stolen asset? Don't worry! Use this to cover the loss
- Crime is a huge problem is SA. Now imagine there's a break-in in your office this weekend, but you didn't include all the stolen assets in your insurance policy. Or your office burns down, and you lose everything, but you only insured your key high-risk assets.
If this happens, we're here to tell you not to worry. You can use this to cover your company's losses...
Here's how to cover... ››› more
- [12 November 2014]