- The one health and safety duty many employers get wrong
- You have many health and safety obligations in the workplace which you simply can't afford to ignore. Because doing so could lead to a R100 000 fine or a one-year prison sentence!
So it's vitally important you ensure you're carrying them out all the time.
But there's one in particular many employers not only overlook, but misinterpret altogether.
In this article, we'll reveal to you th... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- What PPE must I use? Find out here with these three common workplace hazards
- You have a legal duty to uphold your employees' health and safety in the workplace. And part of that duty is to provide them with personal protective equipment (PPE).
And you must also ensure the PPE you provide actually suits the hazard it's being used for.
So to help give you get an idea of what PPE to provide, here's a list of three very common workplace hazards in a standard workplace..... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- One deadly workplace hazard you've probably overlooked
- We all know how important risk assessments are. They help you to identify hazards in your workplace. Not to mention, it's a legal requirement!
But that's easy enough to understand. The real question is where to look for these hazards. After all, you can't identify any hazards if you don't know where to look.
An obvious place to start would be structural hazards and material hazards. But th... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- Do you know what PPE applies to these four hazard sources?
- It is virtually impossible to remove ALL health and safety hazards from the workplace. But you can minimise the risks they pose by providing Personal Protective Equipment to your employees.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is clothing or accessories that when used correctly will create a barrier between the wearer and the hazard to which he is exposed. By doing this, any adverse health effec... ››› more
- [29 September 2015]
- Use this risk assessment model when examining procedurally controlled activities
- Risk assessments help you identify hazards and assess risks in the workplace. On top of it, they are a legal requirement. So it is important for you to carry them out in the name of health and safety.
There are several risk assessment models that are used. One of them, as will be discussed in this article, is called the Operating Support Hazard Analysis, otherwise known as the O&SHA.
This ... ››› more
- [24 September 2015]
- You have legal duty to protect the health of pregnant and breastfeeding employees. Here are five tips to ensure that you do...
- As an employer, it's your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
There are several tips you can follow to ensure this.
Here are five of them: Tip#1:
Identify, record and review any possible risks to pregnant and breastfeeding employees.
Identify, record and review any protective adjustments made in the workplace... ››› more
- [20 September 2015]
- Five hazards to look into when carrying out your risk assessments
- Carrying out risk assessments are important parts of health and safety in the workplace. By carrying out a risk assessment, you can identify any hazards in the workplace that could lead to a workplace incident.
So look at these five common hazards in the workplace and ensure that your workplace is hazard-free:
1. Structural hazards:
These include the physical structure in which the... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Six Health and Safety duties you must always carry out
- As an employer, it is your duty to ensure the health and safety of your employees in the workplace. Failing to do so could lead to hefty fines and even a prison sentence. The last thing you want is a workplace incident due to the fact that you don't comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act's regulations.
So here are six health and safety duties you must be sure to carry out on a consi... ››› more
- [22 August 2015]
- Did you know: Three task levels of risk determines the frequency of your safety audits? Here's how it works
- Safety audit frequency is established under certain rather clear rules even though the risk level of certain tasks may vary and implies various activities.
The main idea in this case is that depending on the risk level you will fix the audit frequency.
Today, we're going to explain how this works so you don't miss a safety audit.
Risk levels and safety audit frequency – how does it wo... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- Office health and safety: Five ways to keep the office free of hazards
- There are several ways you can use to keep your office and your team protected from hazards. Probably the most important rule is to never forget about the periodic inspection you should perform and to make sure your team understands the importance of the health and safety training.
Their actions influence anyone in the workplace and this is something no one should forget.
Here's how you can... ››› more
- [07 April 2015]