- The one health and safety duty many employers get wrong
- You have many health and safety obligations in the workplace which you simply can't afford to ignore. Because doing so could lead to a R100 000 fine or a one-year prison sentence!
So it's vitally important you ensure you're carrying them out all the time.
But there's one in particular many employers not only overlook, but misinterpret altogether.
In this article, we'll reveal to you th... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- Health and Safety affects overall production! So ALWAYS follow this simple tip.
- According to Mining Weekly, 'Gold mining company AngloGold Ashanti beat cost and overall production guidance in the three months to September 30, but fatalities and safety stoppages lowered South African output.'
According to AngloGold CEO, Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan, the multi-national company had a very bad quarter, in terms of safety, in South Africa - many of which were caused by ground fal... ››› more
- [17 November 2015]
- Use this risk assessment model when examining procedurally controlled activities
- Risk assessments help you identify hazards and assess risks in the workplace. On top of it, they are a legal requirement. So it is important for you to carry them out in the name of health and safety.
There are several risk assessment models that are used. One of them, as will be discussed in this article, is called the Operating Support Hazard Analysis, otherwise known as the O&SHA.
This ... ››› more
- [24 September 2015]
- You have legal duty to protect the health of pregnant and breastfeeding employees. Here are five tips to ensure that you do...
- As an employer, it's your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
There are several tips you can follow to ensure this.
Here are five of them: Tip#1:
Identify, record and review any possible risks to pregnant and breastfeeding employees.
Identify, record and review any protective adjustments made in the workplace... ››› more
- [20 September 2015]
- Six Health and Safety duties you must always carry out
- As an employer, it is your duty to ensure the health and safety of your employees in the workplace. Failing to do so could lead to hefty fines and even a prison sentence. The last thing you want is a workplace incident due to the fact that you don't comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act's regulations.
So here are six health and safety duties you must be sure to carry out on a consi... ››› more
- [22 August 2015]
- Quick tips for making your workplace kitchen a safer place to prevent accidents, fires and more
- Health and safety in a workplace kitchen is as important as the rest of the workplace. But it's often overlooked because we all know how to be safe in a kitchen, don't we? And it's just housekeeping, isn't it? Kitchen safety is essential if you don't want accidents or a fire. Have you trained every employee in fire prevention? What about first aid training? And don't forget the first aid refresher... ››› more
- [04 August 2015]
- Five tips to reduce the risk of employee injuries without going broke
- Safety might not be at the top of your priority list as an employer. You might consider a severe injury to a worker a remote possibility and hardly worth worrying about. Or, you might believe there's no way to get the job done safely without spending heaps of money (that you just don't have). It's time to change your mindset. Improving performance safety doesn't have to be a pricy task. Plus, it's... ››› more
- [24 July 2015]
- What you know about risk assessments could be wrong
- You're probably taking steps to protect your employees, and using your risk assessment to tell you if you're covering all you need to.
But how would you feel if I told you what you know about risk assessments could be wrong?
Here are seven facts about risk assessments that could prove what you know is actually wrong...
Here's how you can be 100% sure you... ››› more
- [26 June 2015]
- When last did you review your fire risk assessment? The recent fire at a Creche in Soweto should be your wake up call
- After hearing about the Crèche that burnt down in Soweto this week, killing two toddlers, you should be thinking about the fire risks in your business.
And check if you're taking reasonable steps to prevent harm to your employees and your building.
You're probably taking steps to protect your employees, but your fire risk assessment will tell you if you're covering all you need to.
Read... ››› more
- [26 June 2015]
- Manage health and safety knowledge retention to manage workplace risks!
- Petrochemicals specialist Saide Mansur recently explained that in order for companies to manage the risks, they need to understand that they have to manage the health and safety knowledge retention.
Here's what that means. And why it's important for you.
Petrochemicals specialist Saide Mansur recently explained that in order for companies to manage the risks, they need to understand that the... ››› more
- [20 March 2015]