- Do you know how many of your employees aren't at work today?
- Did you know that on average 15 - 30% of your staff could be absent on any given day? And because of the high costs associated with absenteeism in your company that I told you about a couple of weeks ago, it's important for you to reduce absenteeism quickly.
So, why don't you implement strategies that are attractive to employees and assist them in staying interested and committed to their work ... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- How much does absenteeism cost YOUR company?
- The truth is, the real cost of absenteeism can be extremely high, yet many companies still ignore it! In fact some companies don't even know how much absenteeism costs them.
For instance, did you know the cost of absenteeism to your company isn't only limited to your employee's salary for the day he's absent? The costs can actually go up to 3 times that amount taking into consideration the prod... ››› more
- [10 March 2017]
- Cover your bases if an employee often goes AWOL
- Some employees do all they can to stay away from work - call in sick in the morning, go home early so they don't miss a doctor's appointment, not come in at all because it's their aunt's funeral (AGAIN!). That's all good and well if it's already been discussed with you beforehand or they bring you proof of their absence, like a sick note. But what do you do if your employee goes absent without lea... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- A much needed clarification: How to distinguish absenteeism from desertion
- Do you know when an employee's absence changes from absence without permission (AWOL), to actual desertion? In case you don't, we want to tell you that courts see these as two separate offences, and so must you.
What's the difference between absenteeism from desertion?
Absenteeism is generally a short period of time off without the employee getting permission. In this case, he... ››› more
- [03 January 2017]
- Seven points to include in your absenteeism policy
- Absenteeism is a billion rand problem and there's no doubt your company suffers this scourge. Employees arriving late and leaving early, being off sick regularly or taking extended lunch and smoke breaks are all forms of absenteeism. Here are seven points you must include in your absenteeism policy to reduce this type of absenteeism.
Having an absenteeism policy in place is one way to reduce ab... ››› more
- [16 November 2016]
- Five cheap tricks employees play to get a day off work... And how you can put a stop to them
- I know you've heard it ALL before.... Excuses like:
'I asked my brother to phone you but he didn't'.
'I didn't have airtime and didn't have any money to buy some'.
'The taxi broke down and I only got home at 12h00, I was too tired to come to work and I woke up too late to phone'.
If you think your employee's abusing his leave, you can investigate the situation. You can even ask for pro... ››› more
- [22 September 2016]
- Managing late attendance - you have to get it right, early...
- Many businesses have to deal with workers who, for whatever reason, always seem to be running late either for work or their shifts.
It's frustrating and time-consuming to manage... And often bad for the company morale when other colleagues have to cover for the late worker or wonder why they make the effort to arrive on time.
So read on for what you need to do about an employee in this scen... ››› more
- [08 July 2016]
- Do you know how to calculate the hidden costs of absenteeism?
- We all know that when someone is ill, it costs your company a great deal in money, time and productivity, not to mention your own frustration.
But do you know how much absenteeism is actually costing you? If you don't know how to calculate this, you won't be able to manage it correctly or put a stop to it.
Read on as I show you how to calculate the hidden cost of absenteeism in your compan... ››› more
- [15 June 2016]
- Absenteeism - a headache you can cure!
- Let's cut to the chase.
Feedback from my absenteeism surveys shows that managers like you experience the following problems - and don't like it. You have employees who:
• Are always sick and don't bring a medical certificate when asked;
• Always take time off work and don't bother giving advance notice;
• Always come into work late and leave early, everyday - without permission; and... ››› more
- [23 May 2016]
- Three useful tips to combat absenteeism abuse at work
- Absenteeism is an obstacle which your business has to deal with every year.
It often ends up costing you thousands of rand through lost production that you'll never get back. And that's why you should take necessary measures to stop it in its tracks.
But let's be reasonable, you can't stop absenteeism completely in the workplace. This would be unrealistic. However, you can tighten the screw ... ››› more
- [19 May 2016]