- Find out how 99.8 accumulated leave days landed Huletts and Kohler Packaging at the CCMA... And how you can prevent the same fate!
- What do you do if you need to cancel an employee's leave?
Case law: Jardine vs Tongaat Huletts  7 BLLR 717 (LC)
Did you know that not forcing your employees to take their annual leave could end up costing you anything up to R15,000 per employee? The July school holidays aren't that far off. And along with the almost four weeks of schools being closed, comes the mountain of employee-leave i... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- Easter, Hanukkah and Ramadan... What you need to know about religious leave so you don't end up in Court!
- Easter's almost here! And If you're a Christian, it's a very big deal. If you're Muslim, Easter isn't something you celebrate, nor is Christmas, but Christian Public Holidays are given to everyone - no matter what their religious belief.
So with this in mind, the question crops up... Do you have to give an employee leave when it comes to his religious beliefs and practices?
Let's have a lo... ››› more
- [09 March 2017]
- Does the death of an 'in-law' qualify for family responsibility leave?
- How often have you had this question: 'My brother-in-law passed away and I need to take family responsibility leave go to the funeral'.
And what is your immediate reaction? Yes? No?
If your answer is 'no', then you're 100% correct!
Let's see why...
Case Law: Public Servants Association on behalf of Jonase and Department of Justice
& Constitutional Development (2011) 32 ILJ 1271 (BC... ››› more
- [13 February 2017]
- Is your business experiencing a mass exodus? Here's what you need to know about notice periods and leave to avoid a CCMA case
- An employee is entitled to annual leave, family leave, sick leave and maternity leave for women. But what happens to all that leave if they resign or if you dismiss them? Mistakes here could land you at the CCMA for violating the BCEA. Follow these rules to make sure you know exactly what to do when it comes to notice periods and leave.
... ››› more
- [20 January 2017]
- 7 Vital questions about sick leave over holiday periods....
- Did you see an increase in the number of staff calling in sick over this holiday period? Are you expecting a flurry of sick notes from them because they were absent on the working days that fell amidst all the public holidays? We receive a lot of interesting questions about sick leave... Questions that are probably on your mind too!
Let's have a look at them…
.............................. ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- Cover your bases if an employee often goes AWOL
- Some employees do all they can to stay away from work - call in sick in the morning, go home early so they don't miss a doctor's appointment, not come in at all because it's their aunt's funeral (AGAIN!). That's all good and well if it's already been discussed with you beforehand or they bring you proof of their absence, like a sick note. But what do you do if your employee goes absent without lea... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- Can your employee take all his sick leave or must it be pro-rated?
- One of the common questions regarding sick leave is: Can an employee take all his sick leave or must it be pro-rated? Read on to find out what labour law says about this.
The answer to this leave question is as follows:
'Your employee is allowed to take his full sick leave allowance at the beginning of the sick leave cycle – that is, it's not pro-rated over a period of time,' says the Lab... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Revealed: The only way to ensure you have a watertight annual leave policy
- You employees need to know what's allowed and what isn't when it comes to leave. If you don't make this clear, they'll simply plead ignorance and your business will suffer irreparable damage. The damage includes lost productivity and annual leave abuse. Don't let your company suffer. Make sure you have a legally sound annual leave policy that includes the following eight points...
If you want t... ››› more
- [06 January 2017]
- Does your annual leave policy contain this ONE glaring gap?
- Most annual leave policies are largely made up of legal annual leave entitlements. But their structure of can change from business to business. Because of this, most annual leave policies neglect to include ONE very important part. Read on to make sure your annual leave policy doesn't have a big hole in it.
All your annual leave questions answered!
... ››› more
- [05 January 2017]
- Can your employee take annual leave in his notice period?
- Employers have a lot of questions regarding annual leave. One of these questions is whether or not employees are allowed to take annual leave during their notice period. Read on to find out what the law says... When it comes to annual leave, it's important that you stick to what the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) says you must do.
So what does the BCEA say about an employee taking le... ››› more
- [03 January 2017]