- Do you know how to test your employees for alcohol abuse?
- Current information shows that in South Africa, employees are the main beneficiaries of legislation that provides for health and safety standards in the workplace.
The law that governs general workplace safety is the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993 (OHSA) and, in the Mining Industry, safety is governed by the Mine Health and Safety Act.
It has been showed that over R240 billion, th... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- Do you know what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work?
- You can't just decide to conduct breathalyser tests as you see fit. You have to do it according to what's prescribed in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Read on to find out what the Act says about this.
Don't know what the law says about breathalyser tests at work? If so, here's an answer for you.
Here's what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work
Firstly, you must... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- Here's why you need to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace. But what are toolbox talks? And what are the benefits of conducting them besides complying with the OHSA? Read on to find out why you need them...
'A toolbox talk is a short safety talk [that's] delivered at the workplace and on a specific subject matter. The objective is to raise awareness of... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Your 14 step checklist for safe erection of scaffolding
- If you don't take steps to keep your employees safe when they work with scaffolding, you could be fined R50 000, spend a year in jail or both. Don't take that risk! Use this 14 step checklist to put up your scaffolding safely.
If your employees work at heights of 1.5m or higher, make sure the equipment they use is safe for them and the work they carry out.
Here's what you must do to put up ... ››› more
- [03 January 2017]
- Seven things you can expect DoL inspectors to ask for during a health and safety inspection
- The Department of Labour (DoL) conducted over 190,000 impromptu health and safety inspections. It even shut down a company for failing to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Here's what you can expect DoL inspectors to ask for when they arrive at your company unannounced...
The chances of DoL inspectors rocking up at your company's door one day are huge. Recently, the Dep... ››› more
- [23 December 2016]
- Four types of OHSA's health and safety risk assessment you need to know about
- Having a HIRA (hazard identification and risk assessment) process at your company is one of the most important tools at your disposal to ensure your company's compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).Here are the four types of risk assessments you must do...
Most incidents in the workplace happen because of insufficient management controls. One way of ensuring your compa... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Toolbox talks: What your employees need to know about risk assessments
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to identify all hazards and risks in your workplace. You must, thereafter, analyse the risks and implement control measures to reduce or remove the risks associated with your company's activities. Use this toolbox talk to train your employees on the importance of doing daily risk assessments in their work area...
The words 'risk assessm... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Your 'E' responsibility in HSE Representatives and SHE
- If you yawn when you see the words 'Green', 'Recycle', 'Greenhouse gasses' or 'Carbon footprint', you're going to get into trouble!
You're responsible for health and safety in your company and now you also have the previously 'ignored' environmental responsibilities and obligations on your plate.
The government is getting SERIOUS about environmental concerns and will hold you liable if you'r... ››› more
- [28 September 2016]
- 3 Simple Steps to ensure your Health and Safety Representatives comply with the OHSA
- By now you know that a DoL inspector can demand to inspect your workplace, without prior notice, to see if you're fully compliant with all relevant labour legislation.
This includes him checking to see that your Health and Safety Representatives, as well as your Health and Safety Committees, are compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
So that's good to know, but how can... ››› more
- [13 April 2016]
- 'What is OHSAS 18001?' and how close are you to achieving this standard
- OHSAS 18001 is the British standard for occupational health and safety management. It's the world's highest level of occupational health and safety systems standards and everyone wants it.
It helps organisations get credit for their health and safety performance. And this credit means more business!
And if you want this recognition for your business, pay attention...
*********Highly recom... ››› more
- [13 August 2015]