- SARS Audits: Know your rights
- Is there anything worse than the moment when you open that letter from SARS, 'kindly advising you' they're arriving next week to audit your business?
Don't panic! There are set rules and procedures that the SARS auditors MUST follow, to protect your rights even while it audits your business. Here are nine things you should know and put into practice now.
Statistics show: Your... ››› more
- [22 February 2017]
- Avoid these seven tax traps when you prepare for a tax audit
- As FastJet airline can tell you, a tax audit is no joke. The amount of tax FastJet has to pay Tanzanian authorities almost doubled when interest and fines were added to the outstanding taxes. .
Here in South Africa, it's no longer a question of whether or not a business will be subject to an on-site tax audit; it's a matter of when.
If your business is facing a tax audit, there are seven '... ››› more
- [03 January 2017]
- How to make sure you don't end up with an unfair tax assessment from SARS
- Do you believe that the quickest way to get SARS off your back is to pay up on the assessment? And then heave a sigh of relief, because 'it's over'?
Pay now, argue later, right?
You don't have to pay up immediately on assessment. And you certainly don't have to accept the tax assessment SARS gives you.
Here's what you can do about it... **********
How to make yourself i... ››› more
- [29 November 2016]
- Six areas SARS will look at when they audit you
- If there's one thing I know about SARS auditors it's this: The longer they take to search your offices for what they need, the longer they'll be there. And chances are, they'll uncover more than what they were looking for (and the higher your penalties will be).
Don't take that chance.
If you don't want this to happen to you, keep reading to see the six areas a SARS auditor will review in ... ››› more
- [24 November 2016]
- How to survive a SARS Tax audit!
- Every year more than 100 000 taxpayers are audited and if you're one of the unlucky few SARS audits, then the 'fun' has just begun.
SARS will dig deep into your records to make sure you can back-up your claims on your tax return or to see if you're hiding any money.
They will check every book and financial record to make sure you're not concealing any money and can back up your claims on ... ››› more
- [11 November 2015]
- Don't walk into a SARS payroll audit blindly - know the right answers to these 11 questions
- Get just one wrong and you're asking for an audit...and SARS is happy to oblige.
You might think that if you pay your taxes and SARS has never queried anything with you before, then you're safe from an audit. SARS also does random and cyclical audits.
Daily, countless taxpayers receive their notice of pending audit.
SARS' approach is based on a simple formula. They ask you questions. Yo... ››› more
- [26 May 2015]
- Four things SARS wants you to do or you'll risk a full tax audit
- SARS doesn't turn a blind eye to non-compliance. If you break any tax laws, or even make a simple mistake on your taxes, SARS will quickly target you for an audit.
And it will spend days, if not weeks, digging through your finances looking for hard proof of your non-compliance.
But you can avoid this as long as you play by the rules and do what SARS wants.
Here are four things SARS wants ... ››› more
- [07 October 2014]
- These four vital points will help you to avoid the wrath of a SARS audit
- If you get your taxes wrong and SARS picks up on it, it could spell disaster for your company. SARS could audit you to see if there are any other mistakes you made or things you're hiding.
If the results of the audit are unfavourable, you'll face harsh penalties from SARS.
Don't let this happen to your business!
Easily avoid this by remembering these four vital points...
Avoid ... ››› more
- [06 October 2014]
- Here's what to do when SARS tells you it wants to audit your tax affairs
- The Tax Administration Act (TAA) gives SARS powers to audit your tax affairs.
The good news is the TAA also gives you certain powers when it comes to audits.
It's true. Your rights are protected.
In fact, when SARS tells you it wants to audit your tax affairs, you have a right to demand certain things.
Read on to find out what these are so you can enforce your rights when it comes to S... ››› more
- [09 September 2014]
- Seven things you need to know if you want to survive your SARS audit
- SARS can select businesses to audit at random. This means you may end up in its crosshairs at anytime. When this happens, it's going to dive straight into your company's financial records.
SARS wants to go through every document and record to ensure you haven't made a mistake or told any fibs on your tax return. If it finds any errors, it'll include them in its final report and that could lead... ››› more
- [04 September 2014]