- Warning: Don't make THIS mistake when you do safety audits, inspections or risk assessments
- The key to any safety audit, inspection or risk assessment is to be on site and to watch your employees at work. It's the only way you'll get a clear idea of what they do on a day-to-day basis.
But it's easy to make one crucial mistake during these observations.
You may not even know you've made it but if you do, it may throw off all your findings
Here's what you need to avoid if you wan... ››› more
- [09 November 2016]
- Six ways to help you manage contractors in your workplace
- I recently attended a health and safety training course and was taken aback by how many of the delegates had problems with their contractors. As a result, I decided to dedicate todays article to give you some very important methods to help you keep those contractors in line. Let's start with the most important! #1: Make your contractors sign a contract!
Have a contract signed to ensure complian... ››› more
- [08 November 2016]
- What's the difference between a contract of employment and letter of appointment?
- What's the difference between a contract of employment and an appointment letter? Do you know? Take a look below as I explore the differences and why you need to know them... Dear Reader
I recently had coffee with a friend of mine who owns her own business. We got chatting about appointment letters, and there was me rattling on and on about who in the company should or shouldn't have.
An... ››› more
- [17 October 2016]
- Is there a difference between a Health and Safety Rep and a Health and Safety Officer?
- Do you know there's a distinct difference between a 'Health and Safety Representative' and a 'Health and Safety Officer'? Read on to find out what the difference is...
We use the terms 'Health and Safety Representative' and a 'Health and Safety Officer' loosely, but do you know there's a distinct difference between the two? You need to know what the difference is as they perform different functi... ››› more
- [11 October 2016]
- My employee fell down the stairs after knee surgery...Is this an injury on duty?
- Over the past few weeks, I've received numerous questions to our Health and Safety Helpdesk about injuries on duty (IOD). More specifically, when an injury becomes a reportable injury on duty.
So for today, let me share one of the questions with you and what our Health and Safety Helpdesk expert had to say in response.
Keep reading...You never know, you might be faced with the same situatio... ››› more
- [11 October 2016]
- 4 Steps to complete your own comprehensive health and safety system
- One of the many complaints I hear from our subscribers is that they really want to do what's best for the health and safety of their company, and their employees. But they don't always know exactly how.
Sometimes, the problem is that you just don't know where to start. But, once you get the ball rolling, you feel pretty confident that you have a grasp on all the important issues.
Here's wh... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- Four types of OHSA's health and safety risk assessment you need to know about
- Having a HIRA (hazard identification and risk assessment) process at your company is one of the most important tools at your disposal to ensure your company's compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).Here are the four types of risk assessments you must do...
Most incidents in the workplace happen because of insufficient management controls. One way of ensuring your compa... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Toolbox talks: What your employees need to know about risk assessments
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to identify all hazards and risks in your workplace. You must, thereafter, analyse the risks and implement control measures to reduce or remove the risks associated with your company's activities. Use this toolbox talk to train your employees on the importance of doing daily risk assessments in their work area...
The words 'risk assessm... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Do you even know what a Health and Safety Rep is and why you should have one?
- I write to you daily about all sorts of health and safety issues and topics. And I know sometimes I throw around a lot of terms quite loosely...
Like health and safety rep...
And it occurred to me, some readers may be new to my daily bulletin. And some may be new to their health and safety position. Some may even be small business owners who are just learning about health and safety laws they ar... ››› more
- [30 September 2016]
- No more hiding! Encourage your employees to report incidents with these 7 tips
- When it comes to 'promoting a culture of health and safety' in the workplace, one of the most important aspects is to encourage a culture of reporting incidents in the workplace.
Employees shouldn't hide any incidents in the workplace, but should report them.
Doing so will ensure that hazards and risks in the workplace are dealt with before they can affect someone else, which could put your ... ››› more
- [29 September 2016]