- Your Health and Safety Representative has resigned. Include these seven elements in his hand-over plan
- When your Health and Safety Representative suddenly resigns, you need to have a clear and detailed hand-over plan in place.
That way, your next elected Safety Representative knows exactly what's required of him. And the transition won't hurt your productivity.
Read on for seven essential elements to include in his Safety Rep hand-over plan...
Fulfilling ... ››› more
- [15 May 2017]
- Does your Health and Safety Representative perform these five key tasks?
- As an employer you know it's key to improve the health and safety of your workplace. But important tasks can be overlooked or forgotten, and this is why you need a health and safety representative.
Here are five tasks a health and safety representative (HSE rep) should do to keep your workplace safe! **************
The only DoL recognised guide to select your Health and Safety Representative
... ››› more
- [07 April 2017]
- Caution: Construction and manufacturing companies! You'll fail your health and safety audit if your employees answer no to these 8 questions
- As you know, there are a whole host of questions you and your employees must answer to see if you're complying with the OHS Act.
If you don't know the right questions to be asking your employees, you can't measure your compliance and you'll fail your audit. Now, this sounds all very well and legit.
I love the legalese we use. 'Measure your compliance'… 'fail your audit'. We hear terms like... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- If you don't listen to your health and safety representative, your risk assessment is doomed to fail
- As the boss, you know what's best for your company. No one else can make the important decisions about money, products and investment.
But when it comes to health and safety, you might need some help. The fact that you sit in your office and don't see what your employees do means you don't know what'll protect them best.
This is why you need to involve your health and safety representative.... ››› more
- [09 March 2017]
- Use this checklist to choose the best employee to do health and safety induction training
- When new employees join your company, they need health and safety induction training. That means you have to choose someone to be their training facilitator who has all the right health and safety knowledge and training experience.
This can be a tough decision. After all, choosing the wrong person will affect the quality of your employees' training and your company's safety record.
Don't m... ››› more
- [20 February 2017]
- Do you know how to test your employees for alcohol abuse?
- Current information shows that in South Africa, employees are the main beneficiaries of legislation that provides for health and safety standards in the workplace.
The law that governs general workplace safety is the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993 (OHSA) and, in the Mining Industry, safety is governed by the Mine Health and Safety Act.
It has been showed that over R240 billion, th... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- Do you know what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work?
- You can't just decide to conduct breathalyser tests as you see fit. You have to do it according to what's prescribed in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Read on to find out what the Act says about this.
Don't know what the law says about breathalyser tests at work? If so, here's an answer for you.
Here's what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work
Firstly, you must... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- 12 important documents you must have when a DoL inspector shows up on your construction site!
- A DoL inspector can enter your construction site at any time - without any previous notice - to ensure your site complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Here are 12 documents to include in your health and safety file, for when he comes knocking on your door... 1. Health and safety specifications
Even though these specifications can often be located in the bill of quantities o... ››› more
- [27 January 2017]
- Test your fire drill or emergency evacuation alarm today!
- There's been a spate of office fires and entire warehouses burning down lately. Luckily, thanks to fast-working rescue teams, there've been very few injuries from these fires as employees have been evacuated quickly. If this happens at your office, will you be able to evacuate your staff efficiently? Here's how to ensure employees respond quickly when your emergency evacuation alarm sounds...
*... ››› more
- [23 January 2017]