- I bet you don't know the difference between these three risk assessment essentials!
- Here's how you can be 100% sure your risk assessments are legally compliant...
Remember, you must do a risk assessment to be compliant with the OHS Act!
Do you know the difference between these three simple, but essential risk assessment terms: A danger, a hazard and a risk?
I know it sounds silly, but I recently attended a seminar on Risk Assessments and you wouldn't... ››› more
- [24 May 2017]
- Your Health and Safety Representative has resigned. Include these seven elements in his hand-over plan
- When your Health and Safety Representative suddenly resigns, you need to have a clear and detailed hand-over plan in place.
That way, your next elected Safety Representative knows exactly what's required of him. And the transition won't hurt your productivity.
Read on for seven essential elements to include in his Safety Rep hand-over plan...
Fulfilling ... ››› more
- [15 May 2017]
- Use these seven tips to improve ventilation in your workplace - or face penalties
- If your employees are experiencing headaches, dizziness, sinus congestion, itchy or watery eyes, scratchy throats and an inability to concentrate at work, poor ventilation is probably to blame.
And if you don't improve the ventilation in your workplace, you'll risk your business facing hefty penalties or even getting shut down! It will also contribute to unproductivity and increased sick leave ... ››› more
- [11 April 2017]
- Three reasons why it's so important to do a sanitation risk assessment
- If your employees work in filthy conditions, they're going to pick up all kinds of diseases. They could get stomach viruses, breathing problems, intestinal infections. All of these come from the kind of bacteria that live and breed in damp, dirty, unhygienic places.
When your employees get sick, it means lost productivity. You must also deal with COID if your employee is incapacitated for more ... ››› more
- [10 March 2017]
- If you don't listen to your health and safety representative, your risk assessment is doomed to fail
- As the boss, you know what's best for your company. No one else can make the important decisions about money, products and investment.
But when it comes to health and safety, you might need some help. The fact that you sit in your office and don't see what your employees do means you don't know what'll protect them best.
This is why you need to involve your health and safety representative.... ››› more
- [09 March 2017]
- Answers to four of the most frequently asked risk assessment questions
- Have questions about risk assessments? If so, continue reading to discover some of the answers to your questions.
Four answers to your risk assessment questions
Question #1: What's risk assessment matrix?
Answer: Experts at the Health & Safety Advisor say that a risk assessment is the process of estimating and communicating workplace safety risk and deciding whether this risk is a... ››› more
- [16 November 2016]
- Warning: Don't make THIS mistake when you do safety audits, inspections or risk assessments
- The key to any safety audit, inspection or risk assessment is to be on site and to watch your employees at work. It's the only way you'll get a clear idea of what they do on a day-to-day basis.
But it's easy to make one crucial mistake during these observations.
You may not even know you've made it but if you do, it may throw off all your findings
Here's what you need to avoid if you wan... ››› more
- [09 November 2016]
- Four types of OHSA's health and safety risk assessment you need to know about
- Having a HIRA (hazard identification and risk assessment) process at your company is one of the most important tools at your disposal to ensure your company's compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).Here are the four types of risk assessments you must do...
Most incidents in the workplace happen because of insufficient management controls. One way of ensuring your compa... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Toolbox talks: What your employees need to know about risk assessments
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to identify all hazards and risks in your workplace. You must, thereafter, analyse the risks and implement control measures to reduce or remove the risks associated with your company's activities. Use this toolbox talk to train your employees on the importance of doing daily risk assessments in their work area...
The words 'risk assessm... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- One deadly workplace hazard you've probably overlooked
- We all know how important risk assessments are. They help you to identify hazards in your workplace. Not to mention, it's a legal requirement!
But that's easy enough to understand. The real question is where to look for these hazards. After all, you can't identify any hazards if you don't know where to look.
An obvious place to start would be structural hazards and material hazards. But th... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]