- Five hazards to look into when carrying out your risk assessments
- Carrying out risk assessments are important parts of health and safety in the workplace. By carrying out a risk assessment, you can identify any hazards in the workplace that could lead to a workplace incident.
So look at these five common hazards in the workplace and ensure that your workplace is hazard-free:
1. Structural hazards:
These include the physical structure in which the... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Be prepared! Know these eight risks on your demolition site that could cause a serious accident
- In construction, workplace incidents that result from demolition can very easily result in a fatality. So it is extremely important that you perform a demolition work risk assessment so as to determine the chances that someone will get hurt or that other surrounding structures will get damaged.
Here are eight risks during demolition that you should consider in order to prevent any workplace ac... ››› more
- [19 August 2015]
- You NEED TO do a risk assessment for your office! Here are 5 steps on how to do one
- Risk assessments are the norm for any safe working environment. Having to identify risks, determine how risky they are, decide whether you are doing enough or if more action is required to enhance safety in your workplace is a legal expectation that you are going to have to adhere to.
Apart from it being a legal and moral obligation, it will ensure that you stay in business as well as keep your... ››› more
- [17 August 2015]
- Quick tips for making your workplace kitchen a safer place to prevent accidents, fires and more
- Health and safety in a workplace kitchen is as important as the rest of the workplace. But it's often overlooked because we all know how to be safe in a kitchen, don't we? And it's just housekeeping, isn't it? Kitchen safety is essential if you don't want accidents or a fire. Have you trained every employee in fire prevention? What about first aid training? And don't forget the first aid refresher... ››› more
- [04 August 2015]
- What you know about risk assessments could be wrong
- You're probably taking steps to protect your employees, and using your risk assessment to tell you if you're covering all you need to.
But how would you feel if I told you what you know about risk assessments could be wrong?
Here are seven facts about risk assessments that could prove what you know is actually wrong...
Here's how you can be 100% sure you... ››› more
- [26 June 2015]
- When last did you review your fire risk assessment? The recent fire at a Creche in Soweto should be your wake up call
- After hearing about the Crèche that burnt down in Soweto this week, killing two toddlers, you should be thinking about the fire risks in your business.
And check if you're taking reasonable steps to prevent harm to your employees and your building.
You're probably taking steps to protect your employees, but your fire risk assessment will tell you if you're covering all you need to.
Read... ››› more
- [26 June 2015]
- Include noise in your risk assessment. Before your employees suffer permanent hearing loss!
- As part of managing the health and safety of your business you must control the risks in your workplace. And one of these risks is noise.
You need to put control measures in place to reduce the amount of damage noise causes.
Read on to find out if you have a noise problem and how you can control it by doing a risk assessment before your employees suffer permanent hearing loss. And you land u... ››› more
- [18 June 2015]
- It's time to do a risk assessment. But do you know which type of assessment you must do?
- As part of managing the health and safety of your business you must control the risks in your workplace.
To do this you need to think about what might cause harm to people and make sure you're taking proper steps to prevent that harm.
This is known as a risk assessment and legally, it's something you have to do.
But do you know which of the four types of risk assessments you need to do ... ››› more
- [17 June 2015]
- If you don't follow these four steps, your construction project won't get off the ground after August 2015...
- Getting your project off the ground isn't as easy as it was before.
After August 2015 you can't carry out any work if you haven't been issued with a construction work permit and specific number.
And the Provincial Director won't issue you with one unless all your documentation is correct.
Let's see what the new criteria are to apply for a construction work permit...
*********In demand... ››› more
- [22 May 2015]
- 19 Checklists you need to do your risk assessment
- The best way to ensure you identify hazards and assess safety risks is to do a complete and proper risk assessment of your workplace.
Doing this is also one of the most important safety tools at your disposal to prove your compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act.
Read on for 19 checklists you can use to make sure you don't leave anything out when doing your risk assessm... ››› more
- [08 May 2015]