Personal Protective Equipment
- PPE and the law: What are your obligations if you're in construction?
- There are several important rules you must apply to make sure your safety equipment complies with the personal protective equipment legislation for construction sites.
Here's what you need to know to make sure you're not violating safety law:
Take these safety measures if your construction site employees needs personal protective equipment!
Note that in terms of the OHS Act and 2014 Co... ››› more
- [12 March 2015]
- To protect your workers against workplace hazards you must understandthe role PPE plays in health and safety
- Do you know that engineering controls, administrative controls, and good work practices are always preferred instead of personal protective equipment (PPE) as methods to protect workers against workplace hazards?
After all PPE must always be regarded as a "last resort" to protect against risks to safety and health.
Why should you consider PPE as a "last resort"?
Here are several reason... ››› more
- [03 March 2015]
- Four requirements you must meet to make sure your PPE is an effective health and safety control measure
- In your risk assessment you recognise the need to give your employees Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
What you may not know is that PPE should be your last resort.
For PPE to be effective and help you with your risk management efforts, you have to make sure you meet the following four requirements.
Using PPE as a health and safety risk control measure? For it to be effective, mak... ››› more
- [03 March 2015]
- Give your employees this PPE maintenance guide to save money and lives
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) is a vital part of health and safety. It gives your employees life-saving protection against a variety of workplace hazards.
Unfortunately though, like all equipment, it gets old and stops working properly. This means your employees may be using PPE that puts them in greater danger and you'll have to fork out thousands of rands to replace it.
The good ne... ››› more
- [02 February 2015]
- Five common excuses employees give for not wearing their PPE and how to deal with each one
- The OHS Act says all employees must have and wear personal protective equipment (PPE). But many employers still can't get their employees to follow this rule.
When they confront their employees about it, they get a variety of excuses. But there are five particular ones that seem to crop up a lot.
Today, I'm going to show you how to deal with these five excuses so you can make sure your empl... ››› more
- [02 February 2015]
- Prevent 90% of workplace eye injuries with this one piece of PPE
- Geteyesmart.org says more than 300 000 American employees go to hospital every year because of eye injuries. Most of them work in manufacturing, construction and mining.
If this is the number in America, where safety laws are incredibly strict, you can only imagine what our numbers are like.
But there's good news.
You can actually prevent 90% of these eye injuries. All you have to do is ... ››› more
- [30 January 2015]
- If employees wear PPE and still have accidents, give them this health and safety training today
- He-alert.org recently released a report on workplace accidents. They found that despite employees wearing their personal protective equipment (PPE), they still frequently have accidents.
They also found that it came down to one common problem: A lack of proper health and safety training.
After all, if employees don't know how to use their PPE properly, it won't protect them.
That's why I... ››› more
- [30 January 2015]
- There are 89 000 new cases of traumatic brain injuries in SA each year. Here's the one item of PPE you must give employees to make sure they don't become a statistic
- An estimated 89 000 new cases of traumatic brain injuries happen every year in South Africa. And many of them take place on construction sites just like yours
The good news is you can do something about it and protect your employees.
All you have to do is make sure they all have this one piece of PPE...
Here's how this piece of PPE can protect your employees from traumatic brain i... ››› more
- [29 January 2015]
- If your employees work with chemical solvents, follow this process to determine what PPE they need
- Chemical solvents, such as iso-propyl alcohol, are toxic. They can burn their eyes, lungs and skin. And over time, their poisons could kill them.
That's why you need to give your employees PPE to protect them when they work with chemicals.
But how do you know exactly what type of protective equipment to give them? After all, all chemicals are different.
The good news is, there's an easy... ››› more
- [28 January 2015]
- Old PPE is a serious health and safety risk! Here's why you have to replace it
- When personal protective equipment (PPE) gets old, it stops protecting your employees from workplace accidents.
But that's not the only problem. Old equipment can also cause accidents too. All it takes is a loose glove thread to catch in a moving machine part and you'll have a serious accident on your hands.
Now since each type of PPE causes its own hazards, replacing any old and broken pr... ››› more
- [27 January 2015]
- Are fake injury-on-duty claims a problem in your company? Here's how PPE can put a stop to it
- Recently, I came across a question on the HealthandSafetyClub.co.za about an employee who lied about his injury-on-duty.
He claimed he was wearing his protective clothing at the time of the accident and it didn't protect him so he could claim the accident as an IOD. But the truth is he wasn't wearing his PPE. This means the accident was his fault.
When his employer inspected the PPE, he di... ››› more
- [26 January 2015]
- Use this guide to give your employees risk-specific PPE and avoid a R25 000 penalty from the DoL
- The OHS Act says you must give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE). And that PPE must be specific to the risks your employees face at work.
If it isn't and the DoL comes to inspect your workplace, you could face a R25 000 fine.
Why take that chance when it's so easy to make sure your employees' PPE protects them from their work risks?
Just follow this simple guide to dete... ››› more
- [23 January 2015]