Health and Safety Training
- Eight topics you must include in your induction training for contractors
- According to the new Construction Regulations 2014, it's your duty as the client to provide induction training for any contractors on site. Here's a checklist of eight items you must include in your induction training for your contractors. According to the new Construction Regulations 2014, it's your duty as the client to provide induction training for any contractors on site. It's a vital part of... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- Here's why you need to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace. But what are toolbox talks? And what are the benefits of conducting them besides complying with the OHSA? Read on to find out why you need them...
'A toolbox talk is a short safety talk [that's] delivered at the workplace and on a specific subject matter. The objective is to raise awareness of... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Ask these questions to gather evidence in your health and safety audit
- One of the first steps in your health and safety audit process is gathering all the information you need to assess your system. There are two ways to start this process... 1) Asking your employees questions around following your health and safety processes.
2) Asking your managers the processes they follow to ensure they're following the right health and safety procedures.
Here are four questi... ››› more
- [12 January 2017]
- What kind of training is required to erect a scaffold?
- You probably know that if your company's erecting scaffolding it must comply with construction regulations. But do you know what the law says about the type of training required to erect a scaffold? Read on to find out....
If you're not sure of what the law says about training that's needed to erect a scaffold, the Health & Safety Advisor has got you covered.
Here's what the law says about... ››› more
- [10 January 2017]
- Do you understand just how important conducting toolbox talks in your business actually is?
- Many employers think toolbox talks are insignificant because they're short discussions that usually last for about 15 minutes. This couldn't be further from the truth. Find out about the importance of conducting toolbox talks in your workplace.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires you to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace
Section 8 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act s... ››› more
- [08 December 2016]
- Revealed: What to cover when conducting a toolbox talk on driver safety
- Did you know that South Africa's road accident death rate is among the highest in the world?This is just one of the reasons why you need to conduct a toolbox talk on driver safety. Read on to find out what to tell employees when doing a toolbox talk on driver safety so your employees know how to be safe drivers.
Tell your employees the following when doing a toolbox talk on driver safety
Yo... ››› more
- [29 November 2016]
- The one toolbox talk you're going to need to get you through 'party' season
- It seems early, but we are headed into THAT time of year...
It's frightening! I walked into Checkers the other day and they are already putting up the tinsel.
Calendars are starting to fill up with 'end-of-year' parties. And our weekends are in full party-mode.
While it's great your employees are enjoying the festivities, their over-indulgence has a big impact on YOUR business. Here's ... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- Give your new employees the best safety induction training possible with these four steps
- When you hire new employees you need to start their health and safety training immediately.
This training is important because it shows them how to work safely.
This might sound like a massive and time consuming task but, the truth is, you can do it all in one day. Give your new employees the best safety induction training possible with these four steps
Follow these four steps to give... ››› more
- [28 September 2016]
- Revealed: The ONE reason Toolbox Talks are vital on any site
- Most employers in the construction industry brush Toolbox Talks aside...
'They are insignificant!' said one site owner.
'I don't have time to chit-chat...' said another supervisor.
'No-one listens anyway so what's the point?' said another.
And, after all there's not much too them, right?
They are short informal chats that only take 10 minutes. So how serious can they really be? Just... ››› more
- [29 August 2016]
- 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.' - WRONG!
- As you may know, I'm coordinating a seminar on Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment. So when I was telling Marc a business owner, about this event, he said he doesn't worry about conducting risk assessments in his company. The reason - he says 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.'
Unfortunately, he couldn't be more wrong!
The OHS Act says the employer ... ››› more
- [26 April 2016]
- Revealed: How a vehicle management program can save your company money!
- I'm sure you use vehicles in your day-to-day running of your business. And without even realising it, I bet you don't know is that using a vehicle management program can actually save you money. Let's take a look... Dear Reader
I'm sure you use vehicles in your day-to-day running of your business. And without even realising it, I bet you have some form of a vehicle management program you use to... ››› more
- [15 April 2016]
- Another horrific truck accident on our roads... Don't let it be one of your trucks or drivers!
- Does your blood run cold when you hear of another truck accident on our roads?
Is the first thought to cross your mind...'please let it not be one of mine?'
Because you know if it is, you're looking at your driver potentially being arrested, facing charges or not returning to work. Not to even mention the cost of the damages to your truck and insurance premium hikes.
And in a country w... ››› more
- [04 April 2016]