Personal Protective Equipment
- Use these seven steps to effectively oversee your PPE in the workplace
- It's your legal obligation to uphold the health and safety of all staff in your workplace. And one of the ways to do this is to issue Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to them.
Failure to do this could see you facing massive fines and penalties, and even shut down!
For example, an inspector from the Department of Labour could give you a prohibition notice forcing you stop work until you co... ››› more
- [18 April 2016]
- 5 Steps to effectively monitor PPE usage in your workplace
- It's your responsibility to minimise health-and-safety risks in the workplace as much as is reasonably possible. And one of the ways you can do that is to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) wherever necessary.
This seems straightforward enough. But it doesn't stop there because you have a responsibility to monitor its usage.
So once you've identified any hazards in the workplace, ... ››› more
- [22 March 2016]
- Ensure your workers wear their PPE with these 4 tactics
- In reality, it's pretty much impossible to literally remove every single health hazard in your workplace. But that doesn't mean you should just leave it.
You are required to make a real effort to minimise them, in looking out for the health and safety of all your employees.
And one of the things you can do to minimise hazards in the workplace is to provide your employees with Personal Protec... ››› more
- [10 March 2016]
- The five top excuses employees give for not wearing their PPE
- A question we always get on our Health and Safety Club site is 'How do I get all my employees to wear their safety gear all the time?'
It's one of the top challenges Health and Safety Managers face year after year.
So we did a bit of digging, and asked your peers about their experiences to find out the top reasons workers give for not wearing PPE.
And we also asked the health and safety... ››› more
- [12 June 2015]
- Eight of the most common PPE myths busted
- When it comes to personal protective equipment (PPE) in the workplace there can be a lot of confusion.
How much PPE do I really need for a certain job? What type of gloves should I use? Do I really need to clean my personal protective equipment after I use it?
The world of health and safety management can be mind-boggling, so let's bust eight common misconceptions about personal protective ... ››› more
- [12 June 2015]
- Eight ways to make sure your staff wear their PPE
- Why is personal protective equipment (PPE) so important?
Because it protects workers from injury! In the real world though, safety professionals are still struggling to get this message across - and make it stick.
Unfortunately, expressions like 'Wear your PPE because it says so in the safety rule book' just don't hold up as convincing arguments.
So what does work? Let's look at eight way... ››› more
- [10 June 2015]
- Three ways your employees must properly maintain and store their rubber gloves
- Using PPE helps prevent injury or death. And it's your legal obligation to give it to your employees.
But if your employees don't store or maintain their personal protective equipment properly, their PPE won't actually protect them at all.
A simple thing like cleaning their rubber gloves the wrong way increases their chance of electrocution.
Read on for three ways your employees must prop... ››› more
- [29 May 2015]
- Four instances when you must issue your employees with PPE
- Employers give every reason in the book as to why they don't issue staff with PPE.
It's your responsibility to issue your employees with the right PPE. And make sure they use it. Because if any one of your employees gets injured, the DoL won't accept any excuse from you.
According to Ray Saf, there are five instances when you must issue your employees with PPE...
*********In demand*******... ››› more
- [25 May 2015]
- A system that won't fail you! How to make sure your workers are protected from workplace risks
- We can't stress this enough: Protecting your team or your employees is one of the most important responsibilities you have as an employer.
And although you have to delegate and organise these duties with your Health and Safety Representatives and contractor (depending on the activity), there still remains the knowledge in the field and no one should skip this.
Let's look at the ways that he... ››› more
- [09 April 2015]
- Here's why you should train your employees on personal protective equipment
- Today we want to explain the importance of training employees on personal protective equipment.
We'll give you a guideline for the proper selection, issuing, use and maintenance of personal protective equipment (PPE), in line with the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 and its regulations.
Read on to discover everything you need to know...
The importance o... ››› more
- [27 March 2015]
- PPE and the law: What are your obligations if you're in construction?
- There are several important rules you must apply to make sure your safety equipment complies with the personal protective equipment legislation for construction sites.
Here's what you need to know to make sure you're not violating safety law:
Take these safety measures if your construction site employees needs personal protective equipment!
Note that in terms of the OHS Act and 2014 Co... ››› more
- [12 March 2015]
- To protect your workers against workplace hazards you must understandthe role PPE plays in health and safety
- Do you know that engineering controls, administrative controls, and good work practices are always preferred instead of personal protective equipment (PPE) as methods to protect workers against workplace hazards?
After all PPE must always be regarded as a "last resort" to protect against risks to safety and health.
Why should you consider PPE as a "last resort"?
Here are several reason... ››› more
- [03 March 2015]