There are no articles in this category
- I bet you don't know the difference between these three risk assessment essentials!
- Here's how you can be 100% sure your risk assessments are legally compliant...
Remember, you must do a risk assessment to be compliant with the OHS Act!
Do you know the difference between these three simple, but essential risk assessment terms: A danger, a hazard and a risk?
I know it sounds silly, but I recently attended a seminar on Risk Assessments and you wouldn't... ››› Read more
- [24 May 2017]
- Find out how 99.8 accumulated leave days landed Huletts and Kohler Packaging at the CCMA... And how you can prevent the same fate!
- What do you do if you need to cancel an employee's leave?
Case law: Jardine vs Tongaat Huletts  7 BLLR 717 (LC)
Did you know that not forcing your employees to take their annual leave could end up costing you anything up to R15,000 per employee? The July school holidays aren't that far off. And along with the almost four weeks of schools being closed, comes the mountain of employee-leave i... ››› Read more
- [17 May 2017]
- Your Health and Safety Representative has resigned. Include these seven elements in his hand-over plan
- When your Health and Safety Representative suddenly resigns, you need to have a clear and detailed hand-over plan in place.
That way, your next elected Safety Representative knows exactly what's required of him. And the transition won't hurt your productivity.
Read on for seven essential elements to include in his Safety Rep hand-over plan...
Fulfilling ... ››› Read more
- [15 May 2017]
- How to complete and submit your provisional tax
- The 31 August 2017 provisional tax (PVT) payment deadline is just around the corner. As you know you have to take the time to go through your calculations to make sure you're paying the right amount to avoid penalties from SARS.
If you missed our last article on how to calculate your provisional tax payment, have a look here.
All you need to do now is prepare your return to file by the 31st ... ››› Read more
- [12 May 2017]
- POPI Act is coming into effect! Here's how you can comply before it's too late
- There are talks about POPI coming into effect before the end of this year.
This means you have to make sure you comply with the Act NOW! If you don't comply, you'll face fines of up to R10 million and even jail time!
But where will you start?
Keep reading below to find out five basic rules... ***
How a third party getting hold of your employee's marital status could land YOU with a R... ››› Read more
- [10 May 2017]
- Five input tax claims you're NOT allowed to make
- Input tax is the VAT you pay your suppliers in the course of your business as well as VAT paid on goods you import.
SARS allows you to claim the input tax for your relevant tax period when you complete your VAT return. While this is the case, there are input tax claims you aren't allowed to make.
Read on below to find out what they are so you can comply with SARS and avoid penalties. Every... ››› Read more
- [08 May 2017]
- Dispose of your assets at the right time and avoid these common capital gains tax errors
- Today I'm going to share a secret with you about the disposal of your assets.
All too often people dispose of their assets at the wrong time, which could lead to a 200% penalty from SARS.
Did you know you can avoid this from happening to you by simply taking note of the disposal timing rules?
Let me tell you about them...
You have one Capital Gains Tax lifeline
It will give yo... ››› Read more
- [04 May 2017]
- Here's how to claim input tax back on your staff's flu jabs!
- It's not just your health and safety officer who needs to pay attention when there's a medical expense or emergency in the office.
Winter is flu season and Star Consulting didn't want its 500 staff members to spend time off sick. So it hired a mobile clinic to come to the office and give its staff flu injections.
The clinic charged R50 per injection, so the total amount... ››› Read more
- [02 May 2017]
- Ask SARS to suspend your payment in two simple steps
- When it comes to a VAT dispute with SARS, do you know when you should pay, or if you should pay the disputed taxes at all?
You need to get this right, or you'll incur unnecessary penalties.
You can ask SARS to suspend your payment, with a payment suspension request. Let's look at an example. Example
Furniture Friend gets a VAT assessment for R84 000, including penalties and interest f... ››› Read more
- [01 May 2017]
- Facing a VAT audit? Make sure you have these nine financial records at hand...
- Nothing causes more panic in a business owner than receiving a notice from SARS that your business is facing a VAT audit. But most of the panic comes from uncertainty of what to expect.
You may not even have done anything wrong, so don't worry.
Your VAT audit may have been triggered simply because your accountant entered a zero in the wrong spot on your VAT return. And having these nine docu... ››› Read more
- [28 April 2017]