Policies and Procedures
- Ensure your business documents are POPI compliant with these three useful tips
- The minute the long-awaited Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) comes into affect , all SA businesses will HAVE to comply with it.
But, says Gianmarco Lorenzi, Managing Director of Cleardata - a group company of JSE listed Metrofile Holdings Limited - getting acquainted with the new regulations isn't simple: 'Businesses may need to alter processes completely and may even need to hire ... ››› more
- [30 April 2015]
- Protect your employees' information... Or it could cost you R10 million!
- You have a legal obligation to protect your employees' data and personal information. This is according to the Protection from Harassment Act and Protection of Personal Information Act, or POPI. If you don't, you could spend ten years in jail or pay a R10 million fine!
Before we look at what you have to do, let's see what data you have to protect...
What is employee's data and personal infor... ››› more
- [28 April 2015]
- New rules for conducting proceedings before the CCMA have come into affect. Do you know what they are?
- At the beginning of the month, new guidelines on misconduct arbitrations on how commissioners must deal with misconduct arbitrations were issued.
Let's take a look back at the Amended Rules for the Conduct of Proceedings before the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) ('the Rules') so you know what they entail.
Amended Rules for the Conduct of Proceedings before the ... ››› more
- [28 April 2015]
- Do you know the basic rules of evidence when you've got a case at the CCMA?
- Let's assume you present a case at a disciplinary hearing at the CCMA. In a situation like this, you need to know the basic rules of evidence.
Why is this important? Because the final resolution depends on the evidence you present!
Evidence and the CCMA: What you need to know
The Chairperson of your hearing or the CCMA Commissioner can only make a decision using the evidence you present. If... ››› more
- [24 April 2015]
- The difference between negligence and gross negligence and how to deal with it
- First of all, keep in mind that whenever an employee signs his employment contract, he makes his services and skills available to you. He also agrees to do his tasks with the diligence and care you can expect of him in his position. If he doesn't fulfill this, he's negligent.
But is it just negligence or is it something more?
Let's take a look...
Let's look now at how we define negligenc... ››› more
- [23 April 2015]
- How labour inspectors deal with non-compliers: What a compliance order should include
- Every employer should know that if a labour inspector doesn't believe you're complying with the law, he'll try get to you to comply with the BCEA in writing. This means that he'll ask you to confirm in writing that you'll fix what it is you're not complying with, and within what time frame.
Moreover, he'll try do this by meeting with you or your representatives, or through serving a document in... ››› more
- [21 April 2015]
- Looking for a sample policy you can use to explain how your business conducts performance reviews? Look no further
- We get tons of requests for samples of HR procedures and policies companies can use to run their day to day business.
And one of the most asked for policy has to do with that dreaded time of the year: Quarterly performance reviews.
That's why today we're putting you out of your misery and sharing our experts' performance review policy sample.
Adapt it to suit your company, include it in... ››› more
- [14 April 2015]
- The only way to ensure your HR policies and procedures don't violate the sexual equality clauses set in SA's most recent labour law amendments
- Sexual inequality is a big no-no.
It's prohibited by The Constitution, Basic Conditions of Employment Act AND the latest amendments to the Labour Relations Act.
All three laws state that discrimination based on any grounds, be it race, gender, sex, marital status, age or 'other', is unfair and unlawful.
But here's the thing, there have been so many changes to labour law lately, that you... ››› more
- [10 April 2015]
- Employ a 'Trevor' and you'll need to watch his personal social media profiles very closely
- Poor Trevor Noah. He's just landed the gig of a lifetime as the host of The Daily Show. And now he's surrounded by controversy.
So much, in fact, that yesterday, the American Jewish Congress called on the show's producers to fire him.
This after journalists combed through years of his tweets and came up with a handful of jokes that took shots at Israel, overweight women and other apparentl... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- When conducting your next HR audit, make sure your company's annual leave policy explains these six factors
- An HR audit, like a financial one, is something you should do at least once a year.
While this isn't common practice, auditing your entire HR system regularly is the very best way to ensure all your processes, HR policies and procedures are in line with new labour laws.
Here's what we suggest you look at when your HR audit puts the spotlight on your company's leave policy.
Auditi... ››› more
- [06 April 2015]
- Do this to ensure your employees don't misuse their company cell phones
- The Limpopo province is investigating their deputy speaker, Lehlogonolo Masoga. This after he racked up a whopping R125 000 cell phone bill in one month.
Talk about a huge bill!
But that's not the problem. The real problem is the fact that, the City Press reports, a huge chunk of it allegedly came because Masoga watched porn while on an official overseas trip.
Talk about a no-no! Especia... ››› more
- [30 March 2015]
- Use these tips to implement company policies regarding your employees' behaviour
- We all have undisciplined employees. It happens every now and then, it happens in small companies and big ones. No business is immune to conflict and no business has a secret to prevent this.
At the end of the day, it's human nature testing our nerves, bending workplace productivity and forcing us to come up with the best solutions for such incidents at the office.
Today, we're giving you a ... ››› more
- [27 March 2015]