- Eight ways to make sure your staff wear their PPE
- Why is personal protective equipment (PPE) so important?
Because it protects workers from injury! In the real world though, safety professionals are still struggling to get this message across - and make it stick.
Unfortunately, expressions like 'Wear your PPE because it says so in the safety rule book' just don't hold up as convincing arguments.
So what does work? Let's look at eight way... ››› more
- [03 March 2017]
- Use this checklist to choose the best employee to do health and safety induction training
- When new employees join your company, they need health and safety induction training. That means you have to choose someone to be their training facilitator who has all the right health and safety knowledge and training experience.
This can be a tough decision. After all, choosing the wrong person will affect the quality of your employees' training and your company's safety record.
Don't m... ››› more
- [20 February 2017]
- These three tips will have your annual safety audit done by the end of the day today
- Annual safety audits are an imperative part of health and safety. They ensure your company complies with your health and safety rules and laws like the OHS Act.
The problem with safety audits is they tend to take weeks to prepare and complete. There's all the planning, question setting, document collecting and target choosing to do first. But what if I told you there's a way you can turn this ... ››› more
- [20 February 2017]
- Know this common way that incidents lead to accidents and take action!
- Workplace incidents usually consist of no real harm or loss, but a workplace accident does!
An accident in the workplace in the workplace can happen at any moment. They can create a lot of stress for you because thousands, even millions in Compensation claims may need to be paid out.
Also, investigations by the Department of Labour around the accident may even lead to your company shutting ... ››› more
- [13 February 2017]
- Do you know how to test your employees for alcohol abuse?
- Current information shows that in South Africa, employees are the main beneficiaries of legislation that provides for health and safety standards in the workplace.
The law that governs general workplace safety is the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993 (OHSA) and, in the Mining Industry, safety is governed by the Mine Health and Safety Act.
It has been showed that over R240 billion, th... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- Do you know what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work?
- You can't just decide to conduct breathalyser tests as you see fit. You have to do it according to what's prescribed in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Read on to find out what the Act says about this.
Don't know what the law says about breathalyser tests at work? If so, here's an answer for you.
Here's what the OHSA says about breathalyser tests at work
Firstly, you must... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- 12 important documents you must have when a DoL inspector shows up on your construction site!
- A DoL inspector can enter your construction site at any time - without any previous notice - to ensure your site complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Here are 12 documents to include in your health and safety file, for when he comes knocking on your door... 1. Health and safety specifications
Even though these specifications can often be located in the bill of quantities o... ››› more
- [27 January 2017]
- Test your fire drill or emergency evacuation alarm today!
- There's been a spate of office fires and entire warehouses burning down lately. Luckily, thanks to fast-working rescue teams, there've been very few injuries from these fires as employees have been evacuated quickly. If this happens at your office, will you be able to evacuate your staff efficiently? Here's how to ensure employees respond quickly when your emergency evacuation alarm sounds...
*... ››› more
- [23 January 2017]
- Eight topics you must include in your induction training for contractors
- According to the new Construction Regulations 2014, it's your duty as the client to provide induction training for any contractors on site. Here's a checklist of eight items you must include in your induction training for your contractors. According to the new Construction Regulations 2014, it's your duty as the client to provide induction training for any contractors on site. It's a vital part of... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- What PPE do the general safety regulations require?
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) contains 50 sections and 20 sets of regulations. The different regulations specify the specific requirements you must adhere to. This includes requirements about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Read on to find out what the general safety regulations require when it comes to PPE.
When it comes to PPE, you can't just comply with the regulations y... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- Here's why you need to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace. But what are toolbox talks? And what are the benefits of conducting them besides complying with the OHSA? Read on to find out why you need them...
'A toolbox talk is a short safety talk [that's] delivered at the workplace and on a specific subject matter. The objective is to raise awareness of... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Ask these questions to gather evidence in your health and safety audit
- One of the first steps in your health and safety audit process is gathering all the information you need to assess your system. There are two ways to start this process... 1) Asking your employees questions around following your health and safety processes.
2) Asking your managers the processes they follow to ensure they're following the right health and safety procedures.
Here are four questi... ››› more
- [12 January 2017]