- Does the death of an "in-law" qualify for family responsibility leave?
- How often have you had this question: 'My brother-in-law passed away and I need to take family responsibility leave go to the funeral'. And what is your immediate reaction? Yes? No? If your answer is 'no', then you're 100% correct! Let's see why…
'My husband's sister's boyfriend's mother's uncle just passed away and I need to go to the funeral'
What do you do when Jenny... ››› more
- [12 November 2015]
- You don't have to pay for maternity leave. But these are your options if you decide to pay...
- You don't have to pay your employee while she's on maternity leave.
The BCEA only requires that you give your pregnant employee at least four consecutive months' maternity leave. It's at your company's discretion to pay all, or a portion of, the employee's salary during maternity leave.
But if you decide to pay for maternity leave, these are your options...
Mat... ››› more
- [07 September 2015]
- Has an employee taken leave without your approval? Here's what you can do
- Your employee Rachel has over 50 days' of leave due to her. A few weeks ago, she asked you if she could take some leave and you agreed to it.
Rachel wanted to take all 50 days of her leave. Because she's working on a client contract, you explained to her that she can only take 30 days at this stage. She agreed to this.
After this agreement, Rachel went on leave but she stayed home for an ext... ››› more
- [04 August 2015]
- This is what you must do if a psychologist books your employee off
- Your employee Caroline advised you yesterday that her psychologist wants to book her off on sick leave for a few days (in conjunction with her doctor).
Do you have to agree to this? How do you determine if this is a genuinely medical issue? Read on to find out.
Ensure the psychologist is a registered medical practitioner
Firstly, if Caroline submits a medical certificate issue by a reg... ››› more
- [27 July 2015]
- Can an employee claim sick leave while she's on annual leave?
- Your employee Vanessa took leave last month for two weeks. She set off to Greece for an extravagant and relaxing summer holiday. This came out of her annual leave.
Today, Vanessa returned to work. She told you she fell sick on the plane on her way to Greece. As a result, she was sick her entire holiday, and still is. She claims she couldn't enjoy it and spent most of the time in her hotel room ... ››› more
- [15 July 2015]
- Stop your employees from falling sick and taking too much sick leave by following these three proactive steps
- In some workplaces, employees fall ill often, resulting in them taking a lot of time off. As the employer, it's your job to stop this from happening within your organisation!
You might, for example, offer flu injections to your employees before winter starts. That's a clever preventative measure to take, but there are even better steps you can take!
Here they are...
Three steps for preve... ››› more
- [13 July 2015]
- Uncover the myth behind Compassionate Leave before you pay another cent to employees!
- Life happens. A friend falls terminally ill. Your grandmother passes on. A car hits your dog. All these life events need immediate attention. And if they happen to your employee, they may keep him away from work.
Outside of annual leave, your employees are entitled to days off to tend to tragic events, but what exactly are you obligated to do in these circumstances?
Today, we explore the i... ››› more
- [30 June 2015]
- What to do when an employee takes leave after you decline his request
- On Monday afternoon, your employee Matthew came to you with a leave form requesting to take leave on Tuesday to take his mother to the doctor.
You explained to him he can't take leave on Tuesday because he has work that he needs to finish by Tuesday afternoon for a client.
Matthew didn't say anything in response. He just grabbed the leave form, turned around and walked away.
Later that... ››› more
- [30 June 2015]
- Can sangomas write sick notes? The facts about traditional healer medical certificates
- With the world of medicine changing and growing all the time, traditional healers have found a space in this mainstream community.
What do you do if an employee produces a medical certificate issued by a traditional healer?
In today's article, we look at whether traditional healers should fit into your sick leave policy. We also set out the characteristics you can use to deem whether a... ››› more
- [30 June 2015]
- Five quick facts about family responsibility leave
- Roxanne's son is sick for the third time this month. You're sure Joe's only grandmother passed away last year... So why is he going to her funeral again?
When it comes to family responsibility leave (FRL), it's important you know exactly what you're legally obliged to give your employees.
Read on to find out...
Five things you must know about FRL
#1: The employee must've been working ... ››› more
- [25 June 2015]
- Four quick tips for picking up if the sick note your employee submitted is fake
- Ever been handed a sick note by one of your employees that's left you feeling suspicious?
'Is this valid? Is this fake?', you might ask yourself as you glance over it.
Today, I'm shedding some light on how you can pick up if your employee has submitted a potentially fake or fraudulent sick note. Here's what to look out for.
1. What's deemed a valid sick note
If the sick note your empl... ››› more
- [23 June 2015]
- What to do when you suspect your employee might be lying about absenteeism due to transport problems
- Let's say you have an employee , Joe.
Joe misses work on Monday. He only mails you in the afternoon to tell you he won't be in due to transport problems. When he returns on Tuesday, he says his car broke down on the way to work.
Do you tell him it's not your problem and discipline him instantly, or simply accept his excuse?
Neither of these responses is correct. Here's what you should rea... ››› more
- [23 June 2015]